This may be a very stupid question re steam

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arrunas

This may be a very stupid question re steam

Post by Arrunas »

Hi, i am a brand new user of linux mint 10 and have never used any form of linux before so please forgive the newbishness of this question but i have tried the search and to be honest i think what im asking is so simple that nobody would have asked it before and im not sure how to ask.

Basically ive got steam installed and running in wine and i want to symlink the folder of steam thats on my windows partition so i dont need to download the games again. I know its possible as ive read several tutorials mainly this one here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... nder_Linux

using these lines here:
cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/
mv steamapps steamapps.bak
ln -s <ABSOLUTE-WINDOWS-DRIVE-MOUNT-POINT>/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps steamapps
Now my problem is that i think from that it is assuming that my steam games are stored on my windows drive so its looking there. My games are not stored on my windows drive however so it needs to link to where they are. however i do not know what to point it at as i dont know what the HDD's are referred to.

i can mount it and it is called "200gb filesystem" but is that what i need to type in the <ABSOLUTE-WINDOWS-DRIVE-MOUNT-POINT> bit?

because i know in my windows partition that that particular HDD is called D:\\ but linux doesnt call it that?

im sorry if this is a silly question but as you can probably tell from my stutterings im not really sure what im asking? can anyone here help me out even if its just pointing me to a site that can explain?

thanks for any help that can be given.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: This may be a very stupid question re steam

Post by tdockery97 »

Linux uses a different naming convention for HDD partitions. If you are using a SATA hdd usually your first partition holds the Master Boot Record and is designated as /dev/sda1. Most configurations I have seen have the main Windows program files on /dev/sda2. You can open GParted and look at your partition setup to see which it is.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Arrunas

Post by Arrunas »

Hey Dockery,

Thank you for that. since writing this earlier on today I have been looking into mounts and think ive got it now. my steam in not kept in windows/programfiles as ive got it stored on a different partition on a different HDD and so this was confusing me as to what the HDD its kept on is named under linux.

found out i should be able to mount it to where i need to though so can point the link to where i need to be.

gparted looks useful so will give this a try when i get home later.

thanks for the help.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Hope it works well for you. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Software & Applications”