XFCE (well terminal anyway) hates my old Dell

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

XFCE (well terminal anyway) hates my old Dell

Postby Totally Infected on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:24 am

Hi folks,

I was trying to re-task my parents' old Dell L500R (Pentium III 500 MHz, 256 MB ram) and slapped Mint 3.0 XFCE to try and get a little pep back. Install was smooth and the OS seemed a bit more spry than win '98 was. Firefox was browsing fine, all was good... I installed the updates (NOT the upgrade) and was even able to get a decent resolution after the restart. However, attempting to open a terminal window would automatically restart xwindow and send me back to the login screen. very odd and very consistent - no matter what I do terminal = booted!

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: XFCE (well terminal anyway) hates my old Dell

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:34 pm

This sounds a little bit like problems in Daryna with ccsm (Compiz configuration)
Do you use Beryl or Compiz?
You say "open a terminal window" - to be sure gnome terminal or whatever is used in XFCE?
What happens if you do Ctrl+Alt+F1 (up to 6)
And it's a real restart - are all your open programs closed by this?
And what video drivers do you use?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Totally Infected on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 pm

I tried to post this on Sunday, but it seemed like the server was hosed... I gave up after a half hour of trying to post.

I haven't actively enabled compiz or beryl... I have no expectations of getting 3D effects going on this old clunker.

I tried the Ctrl+Alt+(F1, F2, F3)... and they produced a different result. The Ctrl+Alt+F(n) sent me to a terminal-style (verbose?... what's it really called) login but apparently didn't kill my xwindow session, as 'startx' didn't bring my GUI back. And since 'startx' is about all I know and I was getting tired of the hard restarts, I only made it to F3 rather than all the way up to F6.

When terminal boots me, I get sent back to the splash login page, not the terminal prompt login. It also kills all the programs and nothing pops back up when I log on.

I've just been trying to open terminal by clicking the icon (2 locations - whatever is standard for XFCE). It either goes to black, then the splash, or the colorful video failure screen (similar to what I get when my Win PC's video card fails and goes into VPU recovery mode).

From my xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
Driver "i810"
BusID "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:25 pm

Ok - sorry
It's way to easy to assume that the guy I'm trying to help knows what I know :)
F1 up to F6 puts you in different terminals F7 brings you back and X should not be killed in this case so your box is normal when it comes to that.
One thinks that opening another window would not do much harm....
Check that you have 815 resolution installed as well, seems it helps - never had an Intel video chip and hardly ever serviced one, so....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Soullous on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:44 am

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am having the same problem on two old Dells (GX1100?, P3 733, 256-384 MB RAM). I just installed Linux Mint 4.0 XFCE B8 on them and they both kick me out of X and bring me back to the splash screen when I try to run the terminal.
Soullous

Postby Soullous on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:53 am

Well, nevermind, I think I just found the answer several more pages down in my search. I'll post back if this doesn't work.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=4471
Soullous

Postby Totally Infected on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:40 am

Actually, I never did find a fix myself - I simply skipped XFCE-town and headed for Fluxbox-ville. I read somewhere (not sure about the validity) that the Mint XFCE version was essentially the Gnome build with a XFCE layed on top and a few applications stripped out and that the Fluxbox addition would be a better bet for pepping up the old hardware. Subjectively, I feel it has been a bit faster.
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:31 am

The xfce edition is not quite what you say, but it's based on the main edition.
And there's a problem with memory leaks especially with Firefox that seems to very hard to solve. This is why the final version takes it's time to appear
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications