Noob Question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xAtom

Noob Question

Post by xAtom »

Hi everyone, I just installed mint for the first time and I'm kinda new to linux in general. I was wondering, when downloading a application i.e. Skype, should I download the Ubuntu version or Debian version?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Noob Question

Post by xenopeek »

Ah. You can just go into Software Manager (directly in the menu), type Skype to search, and click to install it. You will find that most software can directly be installed from the Software Manager, and you don't need to go to any website and try to figure out the correct file to download. Just open Software Manager, search, and click to install :D (It will always ask for your password to confirm.)

BTW, installing software through Software Manager also ensures you get automatic updates and such for it. So you don't need to install new versions or security updates yourself. All updates will be presented to you by the Update Manager (the white shield icon in your panel bar). Read the user guide (link is in the welcome screen after you login, or find it again by typing "welcome" in the search bar in the menu), which explains both Software Manager and Update Manager to new users.

Alternatively, if you do need (or want) to install something from a download it depends on the version of Linux Mint you installed. (For example, most commercial games you need to download. If you are a gamer, a good link is http://www.penguspy.com) If you did nothing fancy, you probably installed Linux Mint 11 (it will say so on your login screen background and your default wallpaper). It is also known as "Katya". That is based on Ubuntu, which is itself based on Debian, so you can download either and install it but should probably stick to Ubuntu version if offered. If you installed Linux Mint Debian Edition instead, always pick the Debian version.

If you have Linux Mint 11 installed, you can also install an application called Ubuntu Tweak. Generalizing here, but using the Software Manager you get the stable and tested version of software. If you want a more up to date (but less tested) version for some specific reason, you can use Ubuntu Tweak to do that. It allows you to add "repositories" from where software can be installed, in your case you can add the Skype repository. Installing Ubuntu Tweak is easy, and you can do so by opening Terminal (directly in the menu) and typing the following commands (or copy & paste using mouse). It will ask for your password to do any changes.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
You can then find the application in the menu and in its "Source Center" you will find the option to add the Skype repository (you need to unlock that page with the button called Unlock to make any changes). Ubuntu Tweak allows you to do much more, it might be useful to you.

Return to “Software & Applications”