Can't move windows

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akavir

Can't move windows

Post by akavir »

So I was messing around trying to install an OS X theme to Mint 11(64-bit). I follow a guide made for Mint 9, as it was the only one I could find. In the process, and I'm not sure what did it, I can no longer move my windows around. I can minimize, close, and maxamize, but I can't just grab the window with my mouse anymore and drag it around. It could have been changes I was making to Compiz(although I reset all the changes to default and that didn't work. I enabled Desktop Cube, I remember that being a glitch with Mint 11, but I thought it was resolved.) It could be the theme that was installing at the same time, or it could be Cairo Dock. I was messing with settings in all of them, and it just kind of happened. At first the tops of all my windows disappeared(No header or minimize buttons, etc.) The only way I got the header back at all was by enabling window decoration in Compiz settings. Any thoughts? Not sure what other details to provide.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can't move windows

Post by xenopeek »

Hi, you can reset Compiz settings to post-installation default with (from the Terminal):

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz
You can start gconf-editor to look up other paths that you may want to reset to post-installation default. For example, Cairo Dock (but I don't know the path for that, so use gconf-editor and look in apps for name of it).

The title bar of windows disappearing is a known bug, and indeed you need to enable window decoration in Compiz to fix that (it is enabled by default). As the default setting is wrong, you should also change the Command in the Window Decoration in CompizConfig Settings Manager to read: /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
akavir

Post by akavir »

Didn't help. Reset compiz and cairo.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Do you have link to the guide you followed? Perhaps that can help roll it back.
akavir

Post by akavir »

It wasn't the theme or any of it's components. It was enabling Desktop Cube. I did a clean install of Mint 11 and the theme and related components. No problems there. When I enabled Desktop Cube, I could not move windows. However, for some reason with the clean install, I was able to revert the compiz settings to default and regained movement of windows. I thought the desktop cube issue was fixed?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think you need to downgrade Compiz, as there are some issues with it on Linux Mint 11 and Desktop Cube (it's in the release notes iirc). Follow guide here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74869
akavir

Post by akavir »

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to just forget about the Desktop Cube for now. It's just eyecandy. I finally have my desktop mostly the way I want it, and really don't want to mess anything else up.
mrmayton678t

Post by mrmayton678t »

I had the same problem. First, I enabled the desktop cube, and the title bar (and window controls) for all windows disappeared. I fixed that using information from another forum. However, even though the title bar and controls were back, I could no longer drag windows. I saw some very extreme fixes in this and in other forums. But, strangely, I simply checked the "Move Window" option in the Compiz Manager, and all was back to normal, even with desktop cube enabled. This may be too simple to work for your situation, but it worked for me.

In the Compiz Manager, you will find the Move Window checkbox in Window Management.
jamespakele

Post by jamespakele »

This solved it for me.... HAHAHAHA!!! Checking "Move Window".... Go Figure!!! I feel like an idiot!
BlueDogTexas

Post by BlueDogTexas »

Checking "move windows" button worked for me, too.
Why does an option for that even exist? :twisted:
Who doesn't want to move their windows?

Thanks for posting the question and the replies.
inq

Post by inq »

BLOODY HELL! how i donnot read that xD

thanks it works :D

Return to “Software & Applications”