Iphone 3gs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadowfax
Level 1
Level 1

Iphone 3gs

Post by Shadowfax »

Is there any software that'll load mp3's on a iphone?
Thanxs
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Iphone 3gs

Post by SimonTS »

You might want a look here;-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Porta ... ces/iPhone

Beyond that it seems to depend on what version of software your iPhone is running and whether it is a 3 or a 4.

Try searching a bit for more information;-

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl ... 66&bih=655

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl ... 66&bih=655
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Sorry No :( If you have the latest update from Apple it's Broke :(
Seems everytime someone get I-Stuff working the next update or release brake it :shock: :shock:
You could try the latest gtkpod(not the one in the Mint repo) Might work :shock:
Shadowfax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowfax »

Banshee works perfectly...Better than Itunes!
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

I'm new to mint and have been playing around a bit with Banshee. I've managed to make it recognize my iphone 3G. It looks as if I can start using it to sync my music and photos as well.

My question is about the occasional iphone software update from apple. Can that be done over Banshee as well or should I hold on to my old mac for just that occasion?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Miami592 wrote:I'm new to mint and have been playing around a bit with Banshee. I've managed to make it recognize my iphone 3G. It looks as if I can start using it to sync my music and photos as well.

My question is about the occasional iphone software update from apple. Can that be done over Banshee as well or should I hold on to my old mac for just that occasion?

No and No
If you got your I-Phone Working in Linux," YOU DO NOT WANT ANY UPDATES" :!: Apple Breaks Linux (and many Windows Players with updates) Apple only wants you to use I-Tunes :(
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Thanks Hook.

That is something I had not considered.
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

OldManHook wrote:
Miami592 wrote:I'm new to mint and have been playing around a bit with Banshee. I've managed to make it recognize my iphone 3G. It looks as if I can start using it to sync my music and photos as well.

No and No
If you got your I-Phone Working in Linux," YOU DO NOT WANT ANY UPDATES" :!: Apple Breaks Linux (and many Windows Players with updates) Apple only wants you to use I-Tunes :(

What about security stuff like with the last update? I have a mac and update from there for my phone but I have a friend with Mint and I wonder about updating his.

Is there any way possible?

IOS 5 will be coming out in the fall, will Linux people be left out from using it?
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

I'm sorry for bumping this but I really need to know the answer if I can update an iPhone on Linux Mint.

I have 2 people now with Mint on their computers who 1 has an iPod and the other has an iPhone and I was asked how to update them.

Thanks...
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

In my limited experience with mint 11 I can find no way to do apple software updates on mint.

It seems only iTunes through windows or OSX can do that.

I have found a way to manage the music libraries on iPod and iPhone (3g) on mint using banshee.

Personally, I'll keep my mac-book for syncing the iPhone and updating software. I'm running mint on a desktop in another room.

I don't know of any software updates for iPod so I think it would be OK to use banshee to manage music libraries.

I hope that helps.

If anyone out there can add to this (or correct me if I happen to be wrong) please feel free.
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

Thanks for the reply Miami but as for managing, yea, that wasn't a problem. I also had them using Rhythmbox for managing myself.

That's the easy part :?

I hope someone helps us because I would hate to put Windows on their machines side by side with linux mint :cry:
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

I know it sucks.

If you don't want to give them dual boot systems have you considered running windows in a virtual machine using virtual-box?

That way they would run windows (and iTunes) as a program only when needed.

Are you familiar with Virtual-box?
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

Yea I do, and personally, I probably wouldn't mind but i know they will find it annoying. I guess it this is the only option I might just dual it :cry:
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

MrMint wrote:
OldManHook wrote:

No and No

What about security stuff like with the last update? I have a mac and update from there for my phone but I have a friend with Mint and I wonder about updating his.

Is there any way possible?

IOS 5 will be coming out in the fall, will Linux people be left out from using it?
As noted in my post you don't need to run Apple updates on Linux(you can't anyway),Once you sync your I-Phone/Pod to a Linux system you DON'T need to use I-Tunes :!: Most of the Security stuff Don't apply to a Linux OS As for IOS5 Since Apple does NOT make it Software For Linux it takes awhile for Linux to catch up, While i don't have an I-Phone we have 4 I-Pods all synced to Linux i do have a Windows back up system ( I-Tunes 9.1.1) Also a MacBook Pro With the Latest I-Tunes. Have not had to use Them 8)
Did the last Apple Update break Your Linux :?:
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

So you're saying that the security updates ( rarely as they come ) don't apply if you are syncing with a Linux machine only an Apple/Windows one?

The machine didn't break because there was nothing to update just to sync but just wondered...
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Mr Mint,

Another option if you find it absolutely necessarily for iPhone updates is to attempt to install iTunes for windows on Linux using Wine.

My limited experience with Wine is that some windows programs work, sometimes.

Hook has a good point about not needing iTunes if one can manage the music library with banshee/rhythm-box, but I would add the qualifier that it is as long as no OS or security updates/upgrades are needed.

I'm not familiar with iPods above the nano, but I can't remember a time when my son's nano (or shuffle before) needed software or security updates. On those devices I think Hook may be right about saying bye bye to iTunes.

As for my iPhone 3G, there have been several OS updates that resulted in significant feature and/or security updates/upgrades, so I could see a definite need to occasionally run iTunes updates on them.

Hope this helps. So far I find Mint to be quite interesting. I'm thankful for all the input and support available on this forum.
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Curious update-

A bit ago I stopped being able to transfer songs from Banshee to my iphone 3g or ipod nano using mint 11.

The process would occur by the items could not be recognized by the appple software in the devices.

I recently built a new box I call "Frankenputer". For LTS reasons I installed mint 9 gnome 32bit.

After all was set up I configured Banshee with all my songs, added the libimobile files per a different thread and voila- It worked again.

Is anyone using Banshee on 11 and able to put songs on to an apple device? I tried two seperate boxes running 11 and could not while I could on 9.
Most curious,

Miami592
Asterix5

Post by Asterix5 »

I can't, I presume its apple deliberately making it difficult to not use itunes because they want a monopoly on everything.

Return to “Software & Applications”