Katya permissions issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Algeorge

Katya permissions issues

Post by Algeorge »

Hi I had a major crash so replaced Mint 10 with 11 and now troubles.
I suspect permissions as this seems to be error that I am getting with apps such as krusader, k3b etc typical report as below.
However under Control/Users have set my account as administrator so surely the permissions should be already granted.
I can run the softwares under sudo eg sudo k3b so why cant the permissions be correct if I am administrator?

Another errant thing IMHO is the system tray - minimize to tray with FF and TB no longer work.
Also Katya seems to forget running programs so each new start unlike Mint 10 you have to manually restart the desired software unless its listed under Control/Startup
Thanks vm for any help that can be suggested.
Alistair

trying to create local folder /home/alistair/.kde/cache-alsmain: Permission denied
drkonqi(3531)/kdeui (KIconLoader) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Failed to establish shared memory mapping, will fallback to private memory -- memory usage will increase
trying to create local folder /home/alistair/.kde/cache-alsmain: Permission denied
trying to create local folder /home/alistair/.kde/tmp-alsmain: Permission denied
trying to create local folder /home/alistair/.kde/tmp-alsmain: Permission denied
drkonqi(3531): Failed to lock file "/home/alistair/.kde/cache-alsmain/kpc/kde-icon-cache.lock" , last result = 2
drkonqi(3531): Couldn't create index file "/home/alistair/.kde/cache-alsmain/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index"
QFile::remove: Empty or null file name
Fatal Error: Accessed global static 'KGlobalPrivate *globalData()' after destruction. Defined at ../../kdecore/kernel/kglobal.cpp:127
KCrash: Application 'drkonqi' crashing...
Fatal Error: Accessed global static 'KGlobalPrivate *globalData()' after destruction. Defined at ../../kdecore/kernel/kglobal.cpp:127
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Katya permissions issues

Post by richyrich »

hmmm . . . there isn't a Mint 11 KDE ? ? . . . so what or how did you update ?

edit . . have you read the Mint 11 release notes ? and known issues ?

http://linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php
Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

richyrich wrote:hmmm . . . there isn't a Mint 11 KDE ? ? . . . so what or how did you update ?

edit . . did you even read the Mint 11 release notes ? and known issues ?

http://linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php
Mint 11 KDE; no its running Gnome; sorry I did not advise that.
I checked out the issues and there does not appear to be any mention of permission problems or tray icon problems.
KDE programs worked fine under Mint 10, and work fine under Mint 11 as 'sudo' and my original post so there has to be a fix for this.
I guess the main question would be why when I am set as administrator account am I still getting permissions issues?
Cheers,
Al.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

what can you see from your file manager when you right-click -> permissions on those hidden folders in your home directory ?

desktop, number 2 and 4 . . not relevant to you ?
known issues
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/Re ... n%20Issues

Return to “Software & Applications”