Trusted Source for Linux Software Reviews...?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Trusted Source for Linux Software Reviews...?

Postby chowanec on Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Does anyone have any particular favorites? There's SO much out there, and I'd like someone qualified to help me sort through it. :P
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trusted Source for Linux Software Reviews...?

Postby Husse on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:23 pm

Not exactly personal favorites, but in the Planet there are plenty links
http://www.linuxmint.com/planet/

(Should there be some more word in the first line - like plenty of links, with links... I' lost :))
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Acid7711 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:07 pm

Problem with these reviews, of not only software but hardware, distributions, other o/ses, is that it's all subjective. What one person may like and dislike, another may find completely reversed. Until you try something, you won't know what works for you and what doesn't. That's my thoughts on the matter, but yes I still do enjoy reading reviews but I take them with a grain of salt as most are so overloaded with opinions.
Acid7711
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 am

Subjective - yes, but is that not what a review should be?
Given that you are open with it...
And this is in a sense one of may main problems - how the h.... am I to know if this or that works in this or that combination of hard- and software?
I only have two working desktops and an antique laptop to play with...
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby belovedmonster on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Unfortunately when it comes to Linux reviews they mostly seem to be done by amateur enthusiasts, and generally the reviews are badly written and from the perspective of someone who is far from an expert. So I'd like to know of where I can find some good reviews as well!
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Acid7711 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:57 am

Husse wrote:Subjective - yes, but is that not what a review should be?

In my opinion, no. A good review, in my mind at least, should highlight all the features, trying to keep user bias and opinion out of the analysis. If you want an opinion on something, try it yourself then make up your own mind. :) Having pre-judgements about a piece of software/operating system/hardware before trying it yourself is one of the worst ways to form opinions imo, but unfortunately the world is full of people who think and act like that.
Acid7711
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:39 am

@ Acid7711
Subjective in the sense you describe above - no, no!
I was thinking of that you give your opinion of how it works - in your view this is good or bad and you also tell why
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Acid7711 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:44 pm

Husse wrote:@ Acid7711
Subjective in the sense you describe above - no, no!
I was thinking of that you give your opinion of how it works - in your view this is good or bad and you also tell why

I realize that most people see things differently than I, but I still would rather form my own opinions on something by dealing with my own experiences, not the experiences of others :) You could go to any manufacturers website for anything and find a "review", but is it going to be a completely unbiased, helpful review? Probably not. Things will purposely be left out, and that's my point. It's hard to find a completely unbiased review of anything, and for that reason I try not to place a label on something of "I liked this or disliked that" until I physically try it myself and form my own opinions on the matter. I find most people will go read a review or something, and immediately take on the authors feelings. That's just being close-minded.

Like I said above, even though I enjoy reading them sometimes, I still would rather read reviews of something after I've dealt with it so I can see how my own opinions match up against someone else's. It's the only way you'll find out what you think, and not just what someone else has lead you to think.

Maybe my viewpoint is hard to understand through reading......I dunknow.
Acid7711
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications