[Solved] Sudo privileg necessary for WLAN selection

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Angtagapagligt

[Solved] Sudo privileg necessary for WLAN selection

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hey everyone,

I've a strange issue with Linux Mint 11 (Main). The PC boots up and than it doesn't connect to a WLAN. I have to unlock the WLAN-keys at first. I have to unlock the keys via sudo and I can't set "unlock keys automaticlly on startup" true (it is grey).
As soon as I unlocked the bunch of keys the WLAN connects and everything works.

I tryed to open seahorse as sudo to set the "unlock keys automaticly on startup" true but this doesn't work because there is extra data for sudo (so I don't have the keys from the default user).

I hope someone can help me.

Many, many thanks!

So long
Greetings
Angtagapagligt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Sudo privileg necessary for WLAN selection

Post by remoulder »

Have you tried ticked the box under the connection's settings that says 'Make available to all users'?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hey,

thanks for your reply.
This worked partial. Now I have instantly connection to the WLAN(s) (yippppeeee) but I even have to unlock the "Default"-keyset (I don't really now why) and the point to unlock it at startup is even greyed out.

But many, many thanks - it was so easy :) :oops:

So long
Angtagapagligt
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hey,

I've solved the problem.
I came to this solution after I've installed another laptop with LM11. While I install I connect to my Access Point to gain Internet for updates and such things. Because you are on the Live-CD without a "real" user you don't have a keyring "login" and so you have to make a keyring "Default". The OS asks you for creating one with a particular password.

Note:
Normally there is a keyring called "login" which is the default keyring and is unlocked after the login.

Now I installed the OS and the keyring "Default" is copied on the hard disk, too! This means, that the WLAN-key is saved in this "Default"-keyring. But it isn't the default keyring which is unlocked and loaded while the login (now it is the common "login"-keyring).

The solution goes like this:

Code: Select all

cd /home/[i]user[/i]/.gnome2/keyrings
Now you've to open the config-file which configure the seahorse default keyring.

gedit default
Now in gedit change the characters "Default" to "login" and save the file. Than you've to remove the "Default.keyring".

rm Default.keyring
Than you have to reboot and everything is allright :)

Angtagapagligt

Return to “Software & Applications”