(SOLVED) Firefox 5 bookmarks problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fletcher

(SOLVED) Firefox 5 bookmarks problem

Post by fletcher »

I installed Firefox 5 the other day, on my Mint 9 LXDE partition, and everything went fine. It imported all of my settings and most of my add-ons (there were a couple that I had to replace because they were no longer compatible).

It also imported all of my bookmarks. Then this morning when I turned on my machine, my bookmarks were gone. All the backups of my bookmarks are in the file, and have now been copied to several other places.

But when I try to restore my old bookmarks, at least in my LXDE install, I get an error message "Unable to process backup file". I booted into KDE and the backup and restore bookmarks worked fine; my Mint 9 KDE install is still running Firefox 3.6.18.

I have completely removed and re-installed Firefox several times, and it has not helped. I may remove the Firefox PPA from the repos and go back to 3.6.18 for now.

Does anyone know, is this a problem with FF5, or maybe a bad interaction between FF5 and LXDE? I have never had this problem before.

Thank you to anyone who can provide help and guidance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Firefox 5 bookmarks problem

Post by wayne128 »

I have never had problem with firefox bookmark from any version to this version5 and I share them with any Win (Xp,vista, 7) and any Linux OS.

But then I might be doing different method than yours.

I think you use 'backup' and with json format ( just my guess).

For me, what I do is export html file, save it on USB flash drive in fat32 format, then move to any other computer running different OS , import to the OS and it will run just fine.

That works even when import and export to other browsers.

Not really sure if it makes any difference if you try import/export method with html.
fletcher

Re: Firefox 5 bookmarks problem

Post by fletcher »

Thank you, wayne128. Was able to import my bookmarks in html. I still find it odd, because I have never had trouble with the .json files, and in fact used them to resotre my bookmarks in KDE and xfce this morning, and then used that to create the html file.

Also have never had my bookmarks just disappear. But I have them back now, and I will just have to set up an html backup for once a day or do it myself whenever I add a new bookmark.

Again, thanks, wayne128. I was already getting tired of being in xfce instead of LXDE.

Return to “Software & Applications”