getting yahoo mail with thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

getting yahoo mail with thunderbird

Postby houndhen1 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Has anyone had success in getting yahoo mail downloaded into Thunderbird? I mainly use online email but sometimes it would be nice to have some of my emails on my hard drive.

thanks
houndhen1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: getting yahoo mail with thunderbird

Postby Alpha-Geek on Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:29 am

If you want to receive your Yahoo! mail with a mail client, you would need to subscribe to Yahoo! Mail Plus. (or so Yahoo! says) That would cost you about $20 per year.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Postby newW2 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:23 am

Or you can use YPOPs. YPOPs is a Windows, Linux, Solaris and Mac program providing POP3 access to Yahoo! Mail. I used it on windows xp. It worked well. Can't make any claims to how it work on Linux.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Y ... -3702.html
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MagnusB on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Yahoo works well with Thunderbird, I have it working perfectly fine.
First you need to activate POP mail under settings in the web based mail reader. Then setup of Thunderbird:
Incoming server (pop3): pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing server (smtp): smtp.mail.yahoo.com
This setup works fine for me, I have not my computer with Thunderbird at hand now, but I can upload some screenshots if you want it :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby houndhen1 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks for the input.
BTW I am using the free version of yahoo mail.

I knew about ypops but had tried to get it in another distro and it wasn't available as a package and I don't know enough to assemble the package myself, so I just gave up on it in that distro. I will check and see if there is a ypops package for Mint.

MagnusB
Yahoo works well with Thunderbird, I have it working perfectly fine.
First you need to activate POP mail under settings in the web based mail reader. Then setup of Thunderbird:
Incoming server (pop3): pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing server (smtp): smtp.mail.yahoo.com
This setup works fine for me, I have not my computer with Thunderbird at hand now, but I can upload some screenshots if you want it.

I like this idea even better than ypops Less is more when dealing with things that can get messed up. If I can do it without ypops then that is better.

MagnusB, are you using the paid version of yahoo mail?

I just did a search for something to use to get yahoo mail and found 'Yahoo Mail Sucker pr81'. I have downloade it and am going to try to install it from a tarball.
houndhen1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby houndhen1 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:34 pm

Well, I have never had any luck installing from a tarball. Mainly after looking at the tar help file, there are so many options that I forget what I came for. I found these instructions and followed them and got the posted results:
In general, the following steps are used to install a tarball:

1. For a GZipped tarball: tar –zxvf filename.tar.gz (or filename.tgz)
2. For a BZipped tarball: tar jzvf filename.tar.bz (or filename.tbz)
3. ./configure
4. make
5. (as root) make install

results from terminal as root:
tar –zxvf YoSucker-pr81.tar.gz
tar: invalid option --
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

Does anyone know what is wrong with what I have done.
houndhen1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:33 pm

I have for your pleasure the setup I use with Thunderbird + Yahoo Mail (Free).
First you need to activate pop mail on Yahoo Mail. Login and press Settings (Sorry, I have it on Norwegian, so I don't know how it will appear if you have another language). From there click on Pop-access and forwarding, then just activate the check box next to "Web and POP access". Now your POP account should be activated.
Then open Thunderbird and start the Account wizard (it will start automagically if you don't have an account set up).
The first you will see is something like this:
You want an Email account (DUH!). Next:
This is just the name and the email you want shown to other when you send them. Generally you want your email and your name there. Next:
This is where you set up incoming server, if you activate the check box it means it will delete the emails online after downloading them, so you just have your local copy (I think). Next:
This is your login name for yahoo. Next:
Just a friendly name for your account, it doesn't matter what you call it.. Next:
Look over your settings and make sure they are correct, you might want to go back and correct them if anything is wrong. Since I already have an outgoing server set up the wizard did not ask me for setting that up to, be fear not, here are my settings:
And there you have it, that should work perfectly, I hope..
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby houndhen1 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:18 pm

Thanks loads, MagnusB. I am going to get this going asap. I will post back with my success or more questions if I don't succeed. With all the screen shots it should be a cinch.
houndhen1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby houndhen1 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:16 pm

MagnusB
First you need to activate pop mail on Yahoo Mail. Login and press Settings (Sorry, I have it on Norwegian, so I don't know how it will appear if you have another language). From there click on Pop-access and forwarding, then just activate the check box next to "Web and POP access". Now your POP account should be activated.

I am not finding anything in my yahoo mail options about pop-access and forwarding. I took some screen shots but don't know enough about how to get them into this email. If I do a copy and paste then it pastes the link to the file on my desktop.

I found pop access and forwarding on the new yahoo mail. But for me it is the paid version and I am still using the yahoo mail classic and the free version.
houndhen1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:45 pm

That is odd, I got free version and get pop mail, even though the account is a couple of years old. Here is the procedure I follow to activate POP:
They might have changed the conditions though, but then it would be odd if I was able to get it, while new ones didn't... Looks like it is equal for all..
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby houndhen1 on Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:56 pm

My yahoo account is from 1999. The free version must be different here in the US.
houndhen1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications