getting yahoo mail with thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: getting yahoo mail with thunderbird

Post by Alpha-Geek »

If you want to receive your Yahoo! mail with a mail client, you would need to subscribe to Yahoo! Mail Plus. (or so Yahoo! says) That would cost you about $20 per year.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Or you can use YPOPs. YPOPs is a Windows, Linux, Solaris and Mac program providing POP3 access to Yahoo! Mail. I used it on windows xp. It worked well. Can't make any claims to how it work on Linux.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Y ... -3702.html
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Yahoo works well with Thunderbird, I have it working perfectly fine.
First you need to activate POP mail under settings in the web based mail reader. Then setup of Thunderbird:
Incoming server (pop3): pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing server (smtp): smtp.mail.yahoo.com
This setup works fine for me, I have not my computer with Thunderbird at hand now, but I can upload some screenshots if you want it :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I have for your pleasure the setup I use with Thunderbird + Yahoo Mail (Free).
First you need to activate pop mail on Yahoo Mail. Login and press Settings (Sorry, I have it on Norwegian, so I don't know how it will appear if you have another language). From there click on Pop-access and forwarding, then just activate the check box next to "Web and POP access". Now your POP account should be activated.
Then open Thunderbird and start the Account wizard (it will start automagically if you don't have an account set up).
The first you will see is something like this:
You want an Email account (DUH!). Next:
This is just the name and the email you want shown to other when you send them. Generally you want your email and your name there. Next:
This is where you set up incoming server, if you activate the check box it means it will delete the emails online after downloading them, so you just have your local copy (I think). Next:
This is your login name for yahoo. Next:
Just a friendly name for your account, it doesn't matter what you call it.. Next:
Look over your settings and make sure they are correct, you might want to go back and correct them if anything is wrong. Since I already have an outgoing server set up the wizard did not ask me for setting that up to, be fear not, here are my settings:
And there you have it, that should work perfectly, I hope..
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

That is odd, I got free version and get pop mail, even though the account is a couple of years old. Here is the procedure I follow to activate POP:
They might have changed the conditions though, but then it would be odd if I was able to get it, while new ones didn't... Looks like it is equal for all..
--Dean Martin

Return to “Software & Applications”