Mintinstall from Opera? solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mintinstall from Opera? solved

Postby lsayre on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Can Mintinstall be configured to be launched from within the Opera web browser?
lsayre
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mintinstall from Opera?

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:36 am

Yes it can. However if you use the icon in the menu (Daryna) this will launch Firefox, but it's no problem to navigate to and use the portal with Opera
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby lsayre on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:18 pm

You are completely confusing the 'software portal' with 'mintinstall'. One offers up the software, and the other installs it. All you can do from within the software portal via Opera is save the files. You can not (to my knowledge) launch the mintinstall module and have them installed directly from Opera. This is the function for which I am questioning whether or not such a potential exists.
lsayre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:59 pm

I am not confusing the 'software portal' with 'mintinstall'. They're one and the same :) (more or less)
I don't use Opera so my answer may have been incomplete.
The Mint version of Firefox gives you the option "Install with" for mintInstall. That may, or may not, happen with Opera. Probably there are settings for default actions for different files in Opera.
But you can always download the small .mint file and double click it to start the install - you can do that in FF as well if you like
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby lsayre on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Well, that got me thinking! Thank you!!! While in Opera and on the Linux Mint Software Portal website I clicked on the "Install Now" button to download a program, and a "file download" box popped up asking if I wanted to "open", "save", or "change" things. First I clicked on the little box that was asking if I wanted to "do this from now on", then I selected "change", and then I clicked on "open with other application". Within this box I typed '/usr/bin/mintInstall' (without the semi-colons, and be sure to add the capital 'I' in mintInstall), and when I hit enter I was installing the application. Woohoo!!!!
Last edited by lsayre on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsayre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lsayre on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:29 pm

To make it permanent, I had to go to "tools, preferences, advanced, downloads", and then press the "add" button. From there under "mime type" I added the statement 'application/octet-stream', and under "file extension" I typed "mint', and then I did as before, checking the "open with other application" button and placing within this box the statement '/usr/bin/mintInstall' (with a capital 'I' in mintInstall). Now it works every time. You can even put a link to the software portal website right on your toolbar, making all functionality essentially identical to Firefox.
lsayre
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications