mintUpdate - automatically download and install packages

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SkyHiRider

mintUpdate - automatically download and install packages

Post by SkyHiRider »

I'm installing Mint on a few work PC's and I want the system to be up to date at all times. All updates of rating 2 and lower should be installed automatically without any form of pop-up or confirmation dialog from the user. The updates need to be super silent - the user does not need to know something is being updated.

How can I do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: mintUpdate - automatically download and install packages

Post by mads »

Hi!
I think any type of updating/upgrading requires root privileges, so I don't think what you want to achieve is possible.
SkyHiRider

Re: mintUpdate - automatically download and install packages

Post by SkyHiRider »

Well, you can enable automatic installation of security updates in synaptic, so I don't see why this couldn't be done. I know I can make a cron job with the password in it but if apt asks for confirmation because of a problem it would halt.

Not updating it at all shouldn't be a problem but I would like to test the stability of the system when auto-updating - when will the first system problem pop up (if at all).

Return to “Software & Applications”