mintBackup bogged down over named pipe files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
setepos

mintBackup bogged down over named pipe files

Post by setepos »

Installed Mint 11 LXDE couple of days ago. Ran minBackup for the first time using default options (do checksum, preserve permision and time stamps etc). It could not get pass some named pipe special files, then bogged down right there:

File: .lastpass/pipes/lastpassffplugin
its permission: prw-r--r--
its size = 0

I of course can exclude .lastpass directory from the backup list in order to proceed, but it is not exactly what I want. A backup software ought to be able to work with any legit file on a disk.

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: mintBackup bogged down over named pipe files

Post by DrHu »

setepos wrote:I of course can exclude .lastpass directory from the backup list in order to proceed, but it is not exactly what I want. A backup software ought to be able to work with any legit file on a disk.
I don't know that an extension(add-on) for Firefox can be called a legitimate backup file
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&p=317425
  • Then again, is it a permissions p[roblem for the backup program..
[/list]
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Named pipes make no sense to backup I think, as it is basically a FIFO (first in, first out) bucket for interprocess communication (sharing information between two or more running processes). If you restore a named pipe, what will the receiving application do with the bucket of information from the time it was backed up? Named pipes only make sense as applications are using them, not weeks or months later when you need to do a restore.

Are you given a warning, or a fatal error? (i.e., do you get your backup or not?)

I looked at the issues reported for mintBackup, and this one isn't there. It would be proper for mintBackup to issue a warning on encountering named pipes, but it should continue to make the backup and ignore those files. If it isn't doing that, perhaps a bug report is in order.
setepos

Post by setepos »

xenopeek wrote:Named pipes make no sense to backup I think, as it is basically a FIFO (first in, first out) bucket for interprocess communication (sharing information between two or more running processes). If you restore a named pipe, what will the receiving application do with the bucket of information from the time it was backed up? Named pipes only make sense as applications are using them, not weeks or months later when you need to do a restore.

Are you given a warning, or a fatal error? (i.e., do you get your backup or not?)

It would be proper for mintBackup to issue a warning on encountering named pipes, but it should continue to make the backup and ignore those files. If it isn't doing that, perhaps a bug report is in order.
Files are backed up before hitting a named pipe file. Then it just sits there, no warning or anything - no noticible activities. I had to manually close the window to abort the process.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ok, I was able to easily reproduce it and filed a bug report for this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/846262

Return to “Software & Applications”