[SOLVED] Archives that fail to extract take up space.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roby718

[SOLVED] Archives that fail to extract take up space.

Post by roby718 »

Having not used linux fir a long while, and just using mint, I'm probably missing an obvious solution. But you should probably take a crack at this anyway. I have a backup of a LOT of music in a zip archive, a backup. Now I was extracting all those in to my music folder with the usual archive tool. It stopped with an error:

Code: Select all

caution: filename not matched:  Music/\?\?nloco/
caution: filename not matched:  Music/\?\?nloco/The Matrix Reloaded/
caution: filename not matched:  Music/\?\?nloco/The Matrix Reloaded/08 \- Bruises.mp3
After this, the folder is not shown in the folder it was placed in, but appears to occupy space on my disk.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Archives that fail to extract take up space.

Post by xenopeek »

This happens sometimes, you may try the following:
1. Extract folder by folder (or file by file if it is just one big pile of files in the archive), and skip this problematic file.
2. Try extracting it from a terminal instead. What is the name of the archive?

Sometimes the Archive Manager can not handle properly all diacritic characters, so either skip that file or try to use a different tool to extract the files (for example from the terminal).
roby718

Post by roby718 »

Well, I can certainly extract it, I just need top get back the 5GB of disk space that's seemingly disappeared.
roby718

Post by roby718 »

Fixed.

Return to “Software & Applications”