updating package manager lists

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

updating package manager lists

Postby jiggling_john on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:53 am

I'm still using celena and don't really want the hassle of upgrading to daryna right now...

however, in daryna things like pidgin, amarok etc are all newer versions, but even after a refresh of the package lists in the package manager there are no updates available... how can i update the package manager so it knows there are newer versions out there than the ones im running?

Thanks in advance...
jiggling_john
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: updating package manager lists

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:13 am

If you have done apt-get update or the same in Synaptic and don't get newer versions it means that there are none. Then the never versions in Daryna (Gutsy) are not available for Cassandra/Celena (Feisty) - they are not in those repositories and you can't use Darynas repos in Celena
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jiggling_john on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:56 am

so what you're saying is i cant get up to date versions of pidgin, gimp etc because im running an old version (even though there are definitely new versions out there)?!

Why can't I just add the newer repositrys?
jiggling_john
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:31 am

A) I don't know if there's newer versions of the applications for Celena - did not check, just answered the basic question
B) You can't use the repository of one version in another, unfortunately there are changes made in the code so you'll mess things up
Some applications will work in more than one version, you could find a .deb file that installs nicely, but that's another question and it's by no means certain.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jiggling_john on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:24 am

oh :( that's all a bit unfortunate....

Forgive my ignorance because I'm still fairly new to all this...

so if I install one version, there will only ever be one repository for that version - and when a new version comes out, new versions of programs wont work with the older ones?!

I always thought linux was largely backwards compatible because of how modular it was?!

am I largely mistaken?
jiggling_john
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:38 pm

most distros are backwards compatible, but to try and use programs coded for newer kernels, on an older one, it's like trying to Play a DVD on a CD player, you can use a CD on a DVD player, but the other way around.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications