Unmet dependencies preventing package installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Unmet dependencies preventing package installation

Postby travlemon on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:43 am

Hello,

I recently installed Mint 10 KDE, as Mint 11 isn't available yet with KDE. I have applied a patch to Wine, and need to recompile now. To do that, I need to install a slew of package dependencies. When trying to install a lot of packages, I get an error about unmet dependencies. Below is a sample message on just one of the packages I'm trying to install:

Code: Select all
libcups2-dev:
 Depends: libgnutls-dev but it is not going to be installed

I haven't tampered with my software sources at all, and I have done system updates already. I tried running sudo apt-get clean and sudo apt-get autoclean. I tried enabling more software sources that were unchecked by default. I can't find any way to make the problematic packages install. Am I missing something here?

Any help is much appreciated!
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification
travlemon
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unmet dependencies preventing package installation

Postby travlemon on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:37 am

I would also like to mention that after some tinkering, I figured out that adding the WINE PPA has caused this. With a VirtualBox copy of the OS, I was able to select any of the packages without a problem. Once I added the WINE PPA and reloaded the package list in Synaptic, I started receiving that error when trying to mark the package(s) for installation.

I know that in my first post, I mentioned that I didn't tamper with repositories, though I added the WINE PPA. I should have worded it differently, I didn't disable or remove any default repositories.

But now, I totally removed the WINE PPA and I still get the errors even after reloading the package list. I'm not quite sure what to do about this, I will keep playing around to see if I can revive it.
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification
travlemon
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications