I want to downgrade to firefox 3.6.22, Mint11. How to do?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintbox7

I want to downgrade to firefox 3.6.22, Mint11. How to do?

Post by mintbox7 »

I have looked in the package manager and software manager and it only has Firefox 6, now I have 4. I want to install the last 3.6 version but I want all the mediaplayers and such to work just like they do right now.

How can I install version 3.6 and still have all the functionality that comes bundled with mint from the start?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I want to downgrade to firefox 3.6.22, Mint11. How to do

Post by xenopeek »

You can download 3.6.23 here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Then you will have to manually install it, and create a script to start it. One possible guide for this is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firef ... illaBuilds

But I'm seriously doubting if this will work without issues with all your plugins and add-ons.

Dare I ask, why the old Firefox? Even Mozilla is warning that they will support 3.6 for a "short amount of time" and "all users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to the latest version of Firefox."
mintbox7

Post by mintbox7 »

Firefox hangs whenever I want to clear cookies and all other things you can clear in Clear Recent History, it just goes gray or stops responding. In the end forcing me to kill the process and restart it, then it works. For a while. The old version never complained and never froze so I want that one back.
mintbox7

Post by mintbox7 »

If I download and manually install it from the mozilla site what things will stop working?

I want to be able to stream tv-series and stuff.

I see in the software manager it says like this
Version: 4.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.11.04.1

Size: 10MB of disk space freed

Impact on packages: epiphany-browser (installed), libseed0 (installed), sun-java6-plugin (removed), gir1.2-gstreamer-0.10 (installed), gir1.2-json-glib-1.0 (installed), gir1.2-clutter-1.0 (installed), epiphany-browser-data (installed), sun-java6-bin (removed), firefox-globalmenu (removed), firefox (removed), sun-java6-jre (removed), libclutter-1.0-0 (installed), firefox-gnome-support (removed), gnome-js-common (installed), epiphany-gecko (installed)
I have no idea what that means but would it be possible to have all mediaplayers and codecs and such working even with the old one?
The older Mint 9 had 3.6 and that worked just fine with all online media for me. And it never froze, well it did but not for that particular reason so for me it was better.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

For me every version of Firefox since 4.0 through 7.0 has frozen my desktop completely on images over 200 kb and increasingly at random.
Even the clock stops.
I have cleaned the cache and only 3 pages later it froze again.
I installed Swiftfox which is based on Firefox 3.6 and have had NO freezes no matter how hard I work it.
Mozilla is pushing out buggy junk to try to get their version numbers up like Chrome/Chromium.
ator60

Post by ator60 »

I just installed Firefox 7, on Mint 10, and it is SLOWER than the old IE 6. It takes about 5 seconds to switch pages, and clicking on a link, it will sit longer than 5 secs. I have disabled some of my. plugins. It started after the upgrade to 7>0.1. I will switch back to Chrome if this is the way it is going to stay.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Funny that Mozilla is saying that they will support 3.6 only for a short while, as it is a long term support version.
podagee

Post by podagee »

i'vebeen noticing that the firefox 7.0.1 freezes a lot i had my mint10 ff upgraded to that and that was the biggest mistake.im once again on mint11 and im with the same terrible firefox.gonna downgrade too.
Emerson Prado

Post by Emerson Prado »

xenopeek wrote:You can download 3.6.23 here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
And then just unpack it in /opt:
cp (directory where you donwloaded Firefox to)firefox-*.tar /opt
cd /opt
tar -xvf firefox-*.tar
This way, you just replace the executable files and stuff, without messing anything else (start icons, etc). The extensions will be checked the next time you run Firefox.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Just wanted to kick in some FF ( or variants ) help tips that could help someone out.

Tell the truth, have outdated versions on some OS's on this old PC too and haven't noticed all that much a gain in speed between them and the newer iceweasel 8 I've got on this OS. But there are some ... Not sure mixing versions is all that great an idea. As some folks are instructing, it's an option but more trouble imo ... Than it's worth.

note: Iceweasel is the Debian unbranded version of FF ... So iceweasel 8, pretty much is FF 8. More or less the same thing.

Maybe some things that could help smooth out your newer version FF/etc experience and/or random babbling.

Check in the FF preferences for summin that says enable hardware acceleration .. uncheck it. Same thing for flashplayer ( go to youtube, right click somewhere on a vid, select settings and you'll see another box about hardware acceleration ... uncheck too. ) On FF 5 at one time, I couldn't get fullscreen flv vids to play and that was the fix for it, for me.

Maybe try creating a new FF profile and see if things are running better. Don't ask me all the specs and why's of it. Sometimes seems an older versions files can be mixed in there and muck things up. Creating a new profile, with that new version makes a clean browser. Ya start out with no about:config tweaks, no plugins .. no nothing, default version.

FF profiles ... Can start it either in terminal or run dialogue ( alt + F2 ). Type

Code: Select all

firefox -ProfileManager
From there it's pretty self explanatory if ya read it and play around a bit. If it does sort out your problems ... backup and import your bkmarks from the old profile, install the plugins ( that are compatible o course ) ... Tweak as ya prefer and call it done.

BONUS OPINION, lol: Install noscript ... I luv that friggin plugin. A mozilla based browser users and resource misers best friend and belongs in the mozilla plugin hall of fame. :D

Just 2 cents folks. Don't really see the benefit of having a really outdated browser version. Each person is definitely free to choose. Avoided the main question here. Can think of plenty of ways to go about it. But all of em seem to have more than a tad of pain in the butt factor or poss to cause more issues than it'd be worth anyway. Oh the irony ... I had to add backports to get the newer versions myself. As the default in the stable repos is iceweasel 3.5summin ... lol, shrugs. You're trying to go in the opposite direction.

Return to “Software & Applications”