CPU usage with Julia and Mint Debian

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RJake

CPU usage with Julia and Mint Debian

Post by RJake »

I'm not accustomed to posting, as I usually just reap the benefits of you wretched and wonderful computer trolls. I was hoping someone would be able to help with my high cpu usage. Not just high, but it rests at 99-100%

The 9 million year old laptop I use rests at %7 or so. I tried burning incense and waving my arms around in increasingly wild gestures, but after that I was fresh out of ideas.

Kernel 3.0.0-1-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-UP-) cache 1024 KB flags (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips 5985.12 clocked at 2992.563 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] X.Org 1.10.4 Res: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports ec00 e8c0 BusID: 00:1e.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network: Card Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.119 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (7.4% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HD103SI 1000.2GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 646G used: 4.3G (1%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 8.20GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 120 Uptime 59 min Memory 273.9/3041.0MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: CPU usage with Julia and Mint Debian

Post by DeMus »

Start the system monitor (Menu > Administration > System monitor) and open the TAB Processes. Then double-click on the column header CPU. This way the processes are sorted on CPU usage, with the one uses the most on top.
Now you can see which prices(ses) is (are) responsible for your high usage.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

DeMus wrote:Start the system monitor (Menu > Administration > System monitor) and open the TAB Processes. Then double-click on the column header CPU. This way the processes are sorted on CPU usage, with the one uses the most on top.
Now you can see which prices(ses) is (are) responsible for your high usage.
An another way is to run a terminal command top .
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

Personally I prefer htop to top - its interface is a bit friendlier, and its easier to see what happens Get it with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install htop
then run

Code: Select all

htop

to launch it
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Guys, this is not a game which program is the best for retrieving the CPU load on a process. Somebody has a problem and I offered him to have a look at the running processes by means of the System Monitor. Now we have to wait to see which process is causing the trouble. That's it.
RJake

Post by RJake »

Thanks for the response.

Much of the problem is isolated to Debian now. I ran the system monitor and it just Earnheardted into the wall and I'm going to reinstall it entirely--it lost window menus (even after compiz was adjusted and subsequently removed) so now everything sticks to the upper left corner of the screen in an antagonizing way. The menu disappeared, and I was panicking when my girlfriend walked in so I hit her with a shovel and buried the body in the back yard under a heap of lime.

Julia has never done me wrong, I was just enticed to try XFCE ...maybe I need to wait for the smart people to smooth over a few issues.

With the cpu usage in Julia, root /usr/bin/X and firefox will leap up in usage if I'm simply typing too fast.
This is a concern: CPU[-Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) clocked at 2992.452 Mhz-] As it's a 3 ghz processor that always clocks at its max.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Do you yourself have any idea what you wrote here? I don't. Because of this I also can't help you. Sorry.
RJake

Post by RJake »

DeMus wrote:Do you yourself have any idea what you wrote here? I don't. Because of this I also can't help you. Sorry.
What is it that you find confusing?
RJake

Post by RJake »

A translation of me:

Much of the problem is isolated to Debian now.
I duel boot XFCE and Julia.

I ran the system monitor and it just Earnheardted into the wall and I'm going to reinstall it entirely
Debian crashed in such a way that would liken it to the death of Dale Earnheardt.

--it lost window menus even after compiz was adjusted and subsequently removed
The menu titles on the windows disappeared, and all similar issues/answers on the forum are related to the malfunctioning of compiz.

so now everything sticks to the upper left corner of the screen in an antagonizing way.
Every window sticks to the upper left corner.

The menu disappeared, and I was panicking when my girlfriend walked in so I hit her with a shovel and buried the body in the back yard under a heap of lime.
The menu literally went away and I had to reconstruct it, which wasn't nearly as cool or effective as the default.

Julia has never done me wrong, I was just enticed to try XFCE ...maybe I need to wait for the smart people to smooth over a few issues.
Mint 10 is my favorite, and my assumption is that XFCE isn't ready for noobs like me.

With the cpu usage in Julia, root /usr/bin/X and firefox will leap up in usage if I'm simply typing too fast.
Typing fast within my browser causes an increase in usage. I find this peculiar.

This is a concern: CPU[-Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) clocked at 2992.452 Mhz-] As it's a 3 ghz processor that always clocks at its max.
My processor always clocks at it's max, and I was hoping someone may have a solution for this.

Return to “Software & Applications”