Mythtv Frontend freeze on exit live tv or recording playback

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jon8500

Mythtv Frontend freeze on exit live tv or recording playback

Post by jon8500 »

When exiting from playing live tv or playing a TV recording Mythtv freezes to a full black screen. The only way out of it is Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, or Ctrl+Alt+Esc to bring up desktop and then logout.
Exit key used is Esc, I have also added a new "Exit without prompt" key binding "L" to try and resolve it, no effect. Esc works fine everywhere else in Mythtv.
There are no Desktop effects set, using system default or Gnome desktop has no effect.
Mythtv is playing full screen.
I have checked all my settings for front and backend in Ubuntu Natty where I use Gnome Desktop (No effects) and Ubuntu Oneric Kernel 3.0 (Unity Desktop) , and Mythtv behaves perfectly.
It would seem to be a problem with the internal player, I can edit and set cut points on recordings and "Save cutlist and exit" comes up, then Mythtv crashes again.
My reason for changing from Ubuntu is the Unity Desktop, but if I cannot get Mythtv to work properly I will have to stick with Ubuntu, everything else on Mint is brilliant.
My system:
Linux Mint Debian 2.6.39.2-486 Downloaded 15th Oct 2011, no nvidia drivers added.
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 AM2+
2GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64x2 4000
Hitachi 160GB SATA disk for this system
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Detonate

Re: Mythtv Frontend freeze on exit live tv or recording play

Post by Detonate »

Have you tried watching TV with VLC? That's what I do with my old PVR-150 tuner card. Works great. The only problem I have is sometimes you have to sync the audio with the video, but this is easy. I did have Mythtv working, but I did not like the interface. It's a lot easier with VLC.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I would recommend using Mint-11 main edition. I also would load the nVidia drives as it comes with VDPAU which offloads the video processing to the GPU. I have been using Mint for my MythTV systems for a few tears now and have never experienced the issues you describe. There is a PPA for the latest MythTV updates located here:http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppas/69

Not sure if this will work with LMDE.
jon8500

Post by jon8500 »

Thanks for the replies, I use the editor to remove commercials etc in Mythtv UK Freeview recordings, except some BBC programmes that have two audio channels which mythtranscode cannot cope with. Presumably I would not be able to use VLC for editing.
I have picked on the Debian version of Mint because it is a rolling distro, Ihave tried with both the 486 and 686 versions to load the current Nvidia drivers but it initially stalls with a black screen and blinkin cursor, after trying to create an Xorg.conf via my Ubuntu system it gets as far as console login, but even startx fails to load Xwindow system.
Will try the Mythtv updates at location you posted.
Apart from problems with Myth the desktop and software are brilliant.
Thanks again
jon8500

Post by jon8500 »

Solved it thanks to Kwisher.
The repos don't work for Mint Debian, but a post below the software page describes how to cure the problem.
Mythtv frontend > Setup > General on audio settings "Press scan for audio devices " button, select first device other than Alsa Default. Then change the mixer to software and bingo it works.
Thanks again for the pointers
Jon

Return to “Software & Applications”