[Solved] Problems in new installation of Katya

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

[Solved] Problems in new installation of Katya

Post by DeMus »

Hi all,

I have been experimenting a bit lately with other OS'es but returned to Katya. Now I have the following problems which were not there the last time I installed it:

When I have some programs (Evolution, Google-Chrome, Banshee) open and I start for example Firefox (but also Synaptic does the same) the whole screen flickers and the open windows are minimized except one of them which gets the focus. This one is NOT Firefox or Synaptics but one of the programs which were open already. I can then click on the Firefox button on the panel to bring it on screen and everything works like it should. When I then give Evolution the focus I see that this window is on screen lower than where it was. Normally the top of the window is the top of the screen but that is not the case anymore. It has been pushed down.

When I boot I see 2 different keyboard layouts in the panel: "USA with € on key 5" and USA. I only need and want one. During installation I told the installer to use the "USA with € on key 5" layout because I like that one. Why do I get the default one as well? I can delete it in the keyboard preferences but with the next boot it returns as if it should be like that. I once had this before in an earlier installation and nobody could give me a good answer to my question back then. I hope you can now. I know when I do a new install it is possible it is gone away but there should be an easier way to get rid of the second layout, shouldn't there be?

So, who can help me with these strange things?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: [Solved] Problems in new installation of Katya

Post by DeMus »

It turns out the strange things I saw when opening certain programs were caused by "Animations add-on" in Compiz where something must have been totally wrong. I switched the complete "Animationsa dd-on" and now it works fine.
The extra keyboard layout disappeared after yet another install. Since I don't have so many extra programs, AND keep my original /home directory with data and settings this is done in less than half an hour.

So, at the moment things run just fine. Case closed.

Return to “Software & Applications”