java update installation? what directory ect...SOLVED!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minty33

java update installation? what directory ect...SOLVED!!

Post by minty33 »

I want to update java because the "firefox plugin check" says mine is vulnerable and to update immediately - the thing is I have tried this in the past with no success. I have followed the self-extracting file directions I printed below but it says i'm using the old one still when I'm done. Is it because I have to set a new $PATH (if so how) or is it because its not installed in the right directory or do i have to get rid of the old one first? what's confusing is which one is the right one. jre-6u28 (old udate) is in my firefox directory and /etc and other directories have sim links or other jre files - I am a noob and unfamiliar with this type of thing. the question is in what directory as root do I run the self-extracting file for a system wide installation, also does anything need to be done prior or after running the self-extracting bin file. lastly if anyone can give me or direct me to good tutorial on how to understand where and how to do non-package manager installations and updates I think I need to understand how my environment/PATH and sim links work and what directories should hold what files/programs genrally. anyway the last part may be asking too much so if it is the java update is the main thing. thanx in advance . I'm using MINT 11 Katya

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To install the Linux (self-extracting) file
Follow these instructions:

Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:
chmod a+x jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.bin
Verify that you have permission to execute the file. Type:
ls -l

Make sure the installation file has executable permission

Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:
cd <directory path name>
For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
cd /usr/java/

Note about root access: To install Java in a system-wide location such as /usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install the Java in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.

Run the self-extracting binary Type:
./jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.bin

The license agreement is displayed. Review the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.

Java is installed into its own directory. In this example, it is installed in the /usr/java/jre1.6.0_<version> directory. When the installation has completed, you will see the word Done.

The installation completes

Verify that the jre1.6.0_<version> sub-directory is listed under the current directory. Type:
ls

Verify the installation filename

The installation is now complete. Skip to the Enable and Configure section.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: java update installation? what directory ect...

Post by SiKing »

Try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun
and see if that fixes you up.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

SiKing wrote:sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
Your code will only install the same or an older version than that the OP is trying to update. Ubuntu and Mint are no longer able to supply jre updates via the repos due to licensing changes by Oracle, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/884252
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

remoulder wrote:
Your code will only install the same or an older version than that the OP is trying to update. Ubuntu and Mint are no longer able to supply jre updates via the repos due to licensing changes by Oracle, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/884252
:shock: I had no idea!

So I guess this http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java will have to do until (if?) the licensing gets resolved.
minty33

Re: java update installation? what directory ect...SOLVED

Post by minty33 »

problem solved

thanx remoulder the link i got from you led me to the how to and it was easy and worked perfect. i might add to that how--to that i also linked the .so file to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin as well as home because if i'm not mistaken then it will apply to all usrer's instead of just the one who's home you link it to.

here is the link ppl http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxt ... -yourself-

one more note - the how-to says uninstall open jdk before starting and never puts it back on i don't know if thats o.k or what but the plugin works and its updated and secure besides i don't use the developement tools. If you do you may need to reinstall them again i'm not sure but someone can post if they know if it should be re-installed or not.
caribriz

Re: java update installation? what directory ect...SOLVED!!

Post by caribriz »

Hi,

Linux Mint newbie. I have recently installed MInt 10 and am loving it so far.

But, I have the same problem as the OP. I need to update the java Firefox plugin.

Have read this thread, I have downloaded the update jre-6u29-linux-i586.bin.

I think (hope) I will be able to install the new version as per the instructions linked to above.
http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java

But, this is my problem: I can't figure out how to completely uninstall the old version of java.

Have searched the forums and googled extensively - maybe people assume you know how to do this - but I don't.
The instructions above are vague with the uninstall, and being a newbie I don't know which files to delete.

I tried in Software Manager (as the instructions did) - tried remove "sun-java6-jre" - nothing happened.

I go to Package Manager, type in "jre" in search box you get this:
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-plugin
f I click on first file - sun-java6-jre and "Mark for removal" - you get this
Mark additional required changes?
The chosen action also affects other packages.
The following changes are required in order to proceed.

To be removed
mint-meta-gnome-dvd
sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-plugin

To be installed
default-jre
default-jre-headless
icedtea-6-jre-cacao
openjdk-6-jre
openjdk-6-jre-headless
openjdk-6-jre-lib

To be upgraded
openoffice.org-java-common
Now this says it will INSTALL something that needs to be removed - from instructions "OpenJDK should be completely removed as well".

And what about "java" - do you have to uninstall everything associated with that as well?

I am totally confused as to how to completely remove this old version of java before attempting to install the new one.

Could someone please tell me how and exactly what files to delete? I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Update to my post above:

Managed to install the java update Sun java 6 29.

Unable to uninstall old java versions completely. When I UNINSTALLED (via Package Manager) sun-java-6-jre, it INSTALLED the unwanted openjdk list of packages I indicated above.

Then, I tried to uninstall the openjdk-6-jre packages - Package Manager said it would REINSTALL the old sun-java-6-jre ...... :shock:

In the end I gave up and just installed the new version anyway as per the linked instructions above.

I could then uninstall only "default-jre" and "default-jre-headless", but not the open-jdk-6-jre etc.

So, in the end:

I have succesfully updated the java to sun java 6 version 29.

I still have openjdk-6-jre, openjdk-6-jre-headless and openjdk-6-jre-lib packages installed despite all attempts to uninstall them.

So far ...... there doesn't seem to be any problem.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

@caribriz: I'm the author of the Java how-to at Easylinuxtipsproject. This weird behaviour when uninstalling an existing Java, seems to happen to more people.

So I've adjusted the how-to: only uninstall the existing browser plug-in (IcedTea plug-in or sun-java6-plugin), and leave openJDK or the old sun-java6-jre on the hard disk. This is enough and should not have these strange side effects. Can you try this and report the outcome here?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Hi Pjotr,

Thanks for replying and on behalf of newbies, many thanks for writing your how-to!

I'm not sure I can do what you would like me to as I think I may have messed it all up a bit :oops: .

Below is a screenshot of what I currently have under "jre" in Synaptic Package Manager after successfully installing sun java 6 29 from the Oracle website.

That is, I no longer have installed:

default- jre
default-jre-headless
sun-java6-plugin
sun-java6-bin

The only item I have left installed is:

iced-tea-6-jre-cacao

Would it help if I uninstalled this?
Last edited by caribriz on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

icedtea-6-jre-cacao *is* the icedtea browser plug-in.... Please remove it. If the weird side effects don't return, the test will be successful. :)
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Pjotr,

Sorry for the confusion - I thought the browser plug-in would have been called icedtea-6-plugin :roll:

I have now removed "icedtea-6-jre-cacao" from Synaptic Package Manager. No problem.

Did you want me to uninstall:

openjdk-6-jre
openjdk-6-jre-headless
openjdk-6-jre-lib

If I click on openjdk-6-jre and Mark for removal, Synaptic says
Mark additional required changes?
The chosen action also affects other packages.
The following changes are required in order to proceed.

To be installed
default-jre
default-jre-headless
So ... it would reinstall these 2 packages I have already uninstalled. So I didn't click apply.

But, if you say it's ok to leave the openjdk packages on the hard disk, then I won't bother trying to uninstall them. I'll just leave things as they are.
Last edited by caribriz on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
minty33

Post by minty33 »

i agree w/ pjotr remove all incl. ice tea but openjdk is prob fine as its a development kit that you probably aren't using and isn't from sun/oracle anyway. if you did mess things up a little i suggest uninstalling everything again (search java in synaptic and uncheck all green boxes then apply them after all have been unchecked if all won't come off initially then do it again after you remove the initial ones) also make sure you have the update still on your hard drive because your browser may not be able to get it without java installed because i don't know if the website uses java. i use the noscript plugin for firefox and allot of stuff doesn't function on websites while blocking java scripts of course with noscript you can choose allow but without java at all i doubt it.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

caribriz wrote: I have now removed "icedtea-6-jre-cacao" from Synaptic Package Manager. No problem.
Cool. Problem solved. Thanks for testing and reporting. :)
if you say it's ok to leave the openjdk packages on the hard disk, then I won't bother trying to uninstall them. I'll just leave things as they are.
You can leave the other packages on the hard disk. They don't do any harm. Enjoy your new Java!
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Many thanks Pjotr and Minty33 and everyone else who posted on this thread - my problem solved too!

cheers
caribriz
Pikolas

Post by Pikolas »

SiKing wrote:
remoulder wrote:
:shock: I had no idea!

So I guess this http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java will have to do until (if?) the licensing gets resolved.
Worked flawlessly, thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”