Don't prompt for password after resume from standby

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meltdown

Don't prompt for password after resume from standby

Post by meltdown »

I just installed Mint 12 RC. I have disabled the prompt for password when the screen saver comes on after 10 minutes in the settings. However, when I suspend my computer and then resume it, it is still asking me for a password. How can I disable that?
Beardedragon

Re: Don't prompt for password after resume from standby

Post by Beardedragon »

meltdown wrote:I just installed Mint 12 RC. I have disabled the prompt for password when the screen saver comes on after 10 minutes in the settings. However, when I suspend my computer and then resume it, it is still asking me for a password. How can I disable that?
Check your Power Manager and see if there is an option to turn it off there.
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

In the Power section of the system settings I only have options for which behaviors to perform when closing the lid when low on power, on battery vs plugged in, etc. I don't see anything about prompting for a password. Is there a config file somewhere that I have to edit?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

A similar question has been asked before in this thread. The general consensus was, it's an intrinsic function of the OS to ask you to key in your password when you resume from sleep or hibernation.

That said, this page seem to explain how to disable it. It was written for an older version of Ubuntu (9.10, hence, corresponds to Mint 10). No guarantee it will work for you (read the comment section). Only way to find out is to try.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

I tried that but gnome-power-manager wasn't listed in the gconf-editor. I tried forcing the setting from the command line but that didn't have any effect. Maybe there is a config file I could manually edit somewhere that would control this behavior? This is a dealbreaker for me if I can't turn this off.
idgforum

Post by idgforum »

Same problem here. I don't understand why all distros don't let the user do it from the menus. I like Linux Mint Lisa but this is a huge problem for me.
idgforum

Post by idgforum »

I get it!

First install: gconfig editor
Then read this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=79230
Michael451

Post by Michael451 »

Using gconf-editor had no effect for me. Following advice in an Ubuntu forum, I installed dconf-tools and ran dconf-editor. There is an identical setting to disable-lock-screen titled "lockdown" under org>gnome>desktop. After checking that I am able to resume from suspend without password prompt, even after having unchecked the setting in gconf.
rsvargas

Post by rsvargas »

Just found it...

Applications -> System Tools -> System Settings

Under "Personal", there's an item called "Screen", click it, and then just change the "Lock" switch to OFF.

And you're done!
quangv

Post by quangv »

Doesn't work for me, I'm on a thinkpad t40 if that makes a difference
mikesmithv

Post by mikesmithv »

I was VERY annoyed by this also. I finally discovered the solution.

First install the dconf editor if not already installed:

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Then run it:

dconf-editor

Check the check box at:

org -> gnome -> desktop -> lockdown -> disable-lock-screen

You know it is going to work right away if the "Lock Screen" menu item disappears from the Log Out menu.

Merry Christmas!
phamps

Post by phamps »

Hey,

I have been having this same issue. I did the turn off lock screen, but it didn't work. It seems more like a screen saver lock to me (at least on my screen) I am very new to linux, so after searching a while and comeing up empty handed I did some pokeing around on my own. I hit the menu, typed in the search box "screen" and clicked on brightness and lock. Turn off screen saver, or if you would like to keep it, you can just turn off authentication. Hopefully this work for anyone still haveing this issue.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please create a new topic to get support on this. The topic you are responding to is almost two years old :shock: See the forum rules for reasons; please don't respond to topics older than 6 months.

Locked.

Return to “Software & Applications”