[SOLVED] Set a startup application for sleep delay?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilovelinux

[SOLVED] Set a startup application for sleep delay?

Post by ilovelinux »

Hi. I am wondering if it's possible to make a startup application sleep for X seconds before starting, kind of like Windows Delayed Automatic Start.

The reason I ask is I have Audacious set to startup applications, but it loads before the network manager connects my wired ethernet, so Audacious fails to automatically start playing the internet radio stream.

I would like to be able to delay the automatic startup of Audacious by at least 5 seconds.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Set a startup application for sleep delay?

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

It's certainly possible. Edit the startup entry for Audacious and put the following in the Command field:

Code: Select all

sh -c 'sleep 5 ; exec audacious'
Adjust the delay value (in the example above, the number 5 [seconds]) to your preference. I don't have or use Audacious so if the name of the program is not the same as above, replace it with what was originally written in the Command field (including any parameters, if necessary) before you edited it.

You can also check out this thread for a slight variation.
Last edited by Pilosopong Tasyo on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
ilovelinux

Re: Set a startup application for sleep delay?

Post by ilovelinux »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:...
Awesome! Works perfectly, thanks so much! :D

Return to “Software & Applications”