Trouble running apps in WINE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lotster

Trouble running apps in WINE

Post by lotster »

Hi

I'm not a complete noob, but I'm new to Linux Mint after getting frustrated with Ubuntu's Unity and Microsoft telling me my (legal) copy of Windows 7 is pirated. So far I'm impressed with Mint, and I would like to stick with it. However, to do that satisfactorily, I will need to get Skyrim and Lord of the Rings Online running in Wine. I installed Wine, and I also used Winetricks to install xact, vcrun2008 and d3dx9_42. According to some other forum posts that should do it. However, no matter what executables I try to run, nothing happens. Well, not nothing, exactly; the screen flickers a few times, and there's a message on the panel at the bottom of my screen that says that it's loading, but after a few seconds it just disappears and nothing happens. Can anyone please tell me what to do about this? I'm quite desperate; I really want Linux Mint to be my new OS.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
barko

Re: Trouble running apps in WINE

Post by barko »

Not all wine versions are working with all windows software....i can't run for example perfect world with latest wine versions but i can with 1.3.15. So maybe you should try different wine versions. For that you will need this one: PlayOnLinux.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Trouble running apps in WINE

Post by remoulder »

lotster wrote: Can anyone please tell me what to do about this?
Please look for support on applications in wine at http://appdb.winehq.org/
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Software & Applications”