World of Warcraft in Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

World of Warcraft in Mint?

Postby Matters on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new to mint and relatively new to Linux.

I am running a dual boot with Ubuntu and Mint and am having a strange issue, World of Warcraft runs wine under WINE in Ubuntu (Gutsy) but hangs at the log in screen in Mint. I am using the same WoW files and the same version of Wine.

The only difference I can think of is that in Mint I am using Envy for my graphics drivers (nVidia GeForce 6 series with 128 mb Graphics ram in a laptop).

I tried uninstalling the nVidia drivers in Envy but all that did was throw me into the low graphics mode (after a reboot) I don't know how to get mint to just use the regular (restricted) drivers.

Any thoughts?
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: World of Warcraft in Mint?

Postby Rob Loach on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:46 am

You'll want to install the package "wine-doors" from the Synaptic Package Manager. Wine Doors handles the installation of Windows applications, like DirectX and World of Warcraft. Although I haven't tried WoW specifically, I've seen it happen.
Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Matters on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't used wine-doors before and I shall in the future, installation however was not the problem.

I am quite certain the problem is a result of Envy and how mint is handling my graphics, does anyone know how to get rid of envy and go back to just the regular restricted drivers? The restricted drivers manager says I have the driver enabled, just not in use.

P.S. I also tried using crossover 6.2 (officially supports WoW) and it says the problem is with starting 3D graphics.
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:28 pm

Funny. I had WoW running on a 5100 Nvidia card using envy to install the graphics driver.
Turn Compiz off that's a big help.

I installed the latest Wine from Wine HQ, and followed the help given at the following link(s) to edit the Config.confused file, the winecfg file, and the Wine Registry.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine
look at the Troubleshooting and Misc links from this page as well.

Since you started on Ubuntu you'll know this sight:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

Lastly, believe it or not there is an add on called "Apply Directly to the Forehead" that helps in some cases.

It will work, I have it running on Daryna with Nvidia 6800GT, and Daryna with 7600GS and Elive on same machine.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Matters on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 am

The error I get is:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception
Program: E:\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe
Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0073:7DE0E349

(with some more crap but I think it is less meaningful)

I tried most of the stuff from the wowwiki site without much luck but thanks for your help.

The weird thing is that everything works fine in ubuntu (and the installs were done days apart) using a direct copy form my old windows install of WoW.
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Matters on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 pm

bump
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 am

Sorry just saw this post. Did you try the registry edit?
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Matters on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 pm

OK, so I reinstalled MINT last night after trying Mandriva for all of 30 minutes (stupid RPMs) and WoW works fine now (sans ENVY) the only real odd thing is that while playing WoW fullscreen I still have the panels over the top (I add a second one). It is kinda odd but not all together bad.
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:01 pm

If you have compiz-fusion installed try selecting Metacity from the window manager menu (I have compiz-fusion-icon installed). If that isn't working select hide arrows from the panel properties.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Matters on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 pm

Yeah, I can get the panels out of the way with the hid arrows but that is more annoying than convenient.

I was thinking of ditching compiz anyway as while it is nice and shiny it is only bells a whistles and after moving the wobbly windows around and spinning the cubes a few times the gloss wears off.
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rob Loach on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Compiz-Switch will help you by allowing you to toggle Compiz on and off by the click of a button.
Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications