How can I add 'hold and release right click' for renaming?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zer0nix

How can I add 'hold and release right click' for renaming?

Post by zer0nix »

Is there a way to add a 'hold right click and release' trigger for file renaming in nautilus?

It's just a very efficient trigger I've grown used to from windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How can I add 'hold and release right click' for renamin

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

zer0nix wrote:Is there a way to add a 'hold right click and release' trigger for file renaming in nautilus? It's just a very efficient trigger I've grown used to from windows.
It's not a very efficient trigger IMO, since you have to hold for a second or two before you can rename it. A far more efficient way is just press the F2 key (keyboard shortcut for Edit > Rename... in Nautilus) when the file is already selected. You are going to use the keyboard anyway to rename the file, so why mouse around when you can just hit a shortcut key? Coincidentally, Windows also uses the F2 keyboard shortcut in renaming files and folders.

HTH.

P.S.: You'll find a bunch of keyboard shortcuts in Nautilus' menu, in addition to using the arrow keys when navigating the file system.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How can I add 'hold and release right click' for renamin

Post by Mik3e »

I concur with your general premise that Mint is a little deficient in mouse options. Those of us familiar with a GUI and a mouse often find it more useful than trying to remember an obscure key combination we use about once a quarter. Perhaps you should start a thread in the 'Suggestions' forum asking for useful mouse options. My two cents is one click to select a file name and a second single click to enter an edit mode.

Return to “Software & Applications”