Exe's and other file typs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cornflaks795

Exe's and other file typs

Post by cornflaks795 »

How can I run exe's and other file types, insted of trying to open the code. Are there any programs, or do I have to do a lot of stuff.

ps - if you could, can it be in plain english? Im new to Linux mint and not sure what im doing!

Thanks, cornflaks795 :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GSimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Exe's and other file typs

Post by GSimpson »

You need to have the right program installed to open the file type you have.

Use the Software manage to install a suitable program.

Note that a ,exe file is a Windows executable file and not suitable for Linux.
HP Zbook
Intel© Core™ i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4
Linux Mint 20 64 bit Cinnamon
16GB ram

Graphics NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M]
kdane4

Post by kdane4 »

If you want to run .exe files you can use a program called WINE. It lets you run MSwindows programs. Like Gsimpson said you can also find alternatives that run natively on linux. :)
cornflaks795

Post by cornflaks795 »

kdane4 wrote:If you want to run .exe files you can use a program called WINE. It lets you run MSwindows programs. Like Gsimpson said you can also find alternatives that run natively on linux. :)
Thank you, but do you know why when I open a exe with wine, it is just a blank white box. How can I fix this?
cornflaks795

Post by cornflaks795 »

cornflaks795 wrote:
kdane4 wrote:If you want to run .exe files you can use a program called WINE. It lets you run MSwindows programs. Like Gsimpson said you can also find alternatives that run natively on linux. :)
Thank you, but do you know why when I open a exe with wine, it is just a blank white box. How can I fix this?
Never mind i got it to work, Thanks!
kdane4

Post by kdane4 »

Glad to help. :) Pls also see this website to check if the program you are running is compatible and will run smoothly. http://appdb.winehq.org/
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

What Windows programs (.exe) are you trying to run? Wine is good but does not run everything.

Return to “Software & Applications”