<SOLVED>backup program recommendations?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED>backup program recommendations?

Post by sgull »

On my pc I've just installed Mint and also thereby creating a dual-boot configuration along with the original Windows OS. I am wanting to create full system clone-type full image backup(s) of the entire pc hard disk onto an external USB hard disk. My current imaging software does not support Linux so am seeking recommendations to help me select an appropriate program which will allow me to do as I describe, full image backup and restoration of hard disk containing the dual-boot configuration. Basic and user-friendly would be good. Just want to be able to do full image backups of my one pc every once in a while. thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: backup program recommendations?

Post by wayne128 »

common method
clonezilla
fsarchiver
remastersys
gparted
etc

I used lazy one, gparted
copy, paste, install grub.. that is about it.. :mrgreen:
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

Wayne, gparted looks good but in the features described (at its website) it doesn't necessarily mention whether it does full backup/image and restoration like I mentioned. Seems (to me) to focus on its partition editing/managing features but not the image backup/restore aspect. No question it is a great program but does it include a definite design feature that will allow me to do the full image backups/restorations to/from external disk? Also, you mention it's easy and a lazy method (which sounds like what I'm hoping for), but you also mention the necessity of having to install Grub, and being a newbie I would need to understand how that part of it all comes into play. thanks
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

I discovered this http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html about GRUB, which is probably most of what I'd ever need to know about it (hopefully), but will need to take time to read it over. Meanwhile I'd really like to get set up soon with a backup program as I mentioned to make the full system image backup as I've been talking about here... no hurry, but just hoping Murphy's law won't prevail and my hard disk fails :cry: while I'm trying to decide and doing all this "researching".
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

sgull wrote: No question it is a great program but does it include a definite design feature that will allow me to do the full image backups/restorations to/from external disk?
Well, I do it all the time to maintain some partition OSes and share them with other computers.. however ymmv :mrgreen:

If you wish to read more on this topic, here is the thread
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=+clone

Also, you mention it's easy and a lazy method (which sounds like what I'm hoping for), but you also mention the necessity of having to install Grub, and being a newbie I would need to understand how that part of it all comes into play. thanks
Most of the time, to reinstall grub2 to MBR , two commands will work.
1. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
2. grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

wayne128: Thanks for the link to thread you provided above, your "lazy method" looks intriguing for me to try to play with sometime. For now, I chose Clonezilla which, after a slightly bumpy road due to some carelessness on my part following prompts during running), I had success. Seem to at least have a good reliable backup to my external disk now, and learned a lot during the experience. I certainly appreciate your helpfulness in sharing your backup program and method recommendations for me to consider, thanks again.

Return to “Software & Applications”