Does LM12 Need Ubuntu Repositories?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rykel98

Does LM12 Need Ubuntu Repositories?

Post by rykel98 »

Hi, when I freshly installed Linux Mint 12, I did not take a look at the Software Sources. Now, after installing GNOME from gnome.org and Ubuntu Software Center, I find my Mint system cluttered with Ubuntu and GNOME stuff - even Unity!

These came directly from the Ubuntu repositories listed in Other Software in Software Manager Repositories.

I have since deleted the Ubuntu repositories but would like to find out if a vanilla Linux Mint 12 does indeed come with the official Ubuntu repositories out of the box?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Does LM12 Need Ubuntu Repositories?

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes, it does. All updates for the underlying Ubuntu base come from the Ubuntu repositories. I think your mistake was installing Gnome the way you did. It will give you the Ubuntu version which includes the Unity Desktop. I don't understand why you needed to install Gnome, as it is already the default desktop environment in Mint 12.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Does LM12 Need Ubuntu Repositories?

Post by ej64 »

rykel98 wrote:Hi, when I freshly installed Linux Mint 12, I did not take a look at the Software Sources. Now, after installing GNOME from gnome.org and Ubuntu Software Center, I find my Mint system cluttered with Ubuntu and GNOME stuff - even Unity!
Why did you do that? LM12 already comes with Gnome. There is some LM-specific software on top and some customizations but basically it's Gnome3.
I have since deleted the Ubuntu repositories but would like to find out if a vanilla Linux Mint 12 does indeed come with the official Ubuntu repositories out of the box?
Of course. Linux Mint (Main edition) is derived from Ubuntu and uses the Ubuntu repos. 99% you see in Synaptic comes from the Ubuntu repos. If you delete these repos you won't be able to update/upgrade any more nor to install new applications.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

Return to “Software & Applications”