Open Office creating huge pdf

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Open Office creating huge pdf

Post by Reljoy »

Mint 10. DVD install. 64 bit.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Ubuntu package 1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1.1

I put together a 2 page doc with 4 pictures (max about 250KB each). Put the pages into 2 columns. Saved as .odt.
Then created a .pdf from Open Office. The .pdf is 10.8MB.

Why is it so big?
How can I make it smaller?
I can't email it like that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DC80

Re: Open Office creating huge pdf

Post by DC80 »

I do not have a solution to you problem, however i can suggest other methods for creating a .PDF file.

For example you can print (instead of saving a file) to a file (.pdf or .ps). Maybe this could be a difference but I doubt it.

Also i can recommend to switch to Libre Office. It is like open office except it is better maintained and probably developed as there is no more money for the open office project, according to the news.

http://www.libreoffice.org

Good luck,

DC80
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

When you export the document as a PDF (File > Export as PDF), tweak the PDF Options before clicking the Export button (General tab > Images section). In particular, JPEG Compression Quality and Image Resolution setting. If the PDF is meant to be viewed on screen, you can probably get away with 75 DPI and 85% (or lower) image quality. Of course you'll have to experiment to determine a sweet spot.

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

Hey thanks! Used 87% and 150DPI and it is down to 256.2kB.
I have thought about switching to libre Office but it doesn't come up in Software manager or package manager.
I guess I'll have to upgrade from Mint 10 sometime soon anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”