KDE, Anthy and French precise question FRENCH USERS HELP

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lanig

KDE, Anthy and French precise question FRENCH USERS HELP

Post by lanig »

Hi,

I am a long term linux user (since 1998). A few years ago, I moved from debian SID to ubuntu for more stability and was rather satisfied until a few releases ago, KDE applications and anthy started to
behave badly with deadkeys, especially û,ê,â which are quite needed to write French (my mother language) which makes these applications very user unfriendly. Some of them, like tagainijisho, anki, blogilo, have no non-kde remplacement.
I filed a bug to launchpad but with no success. I guess that a French user writing also in Japanese is not on the top priority of their list... I would gladly move to Mint if this bug is not present. Would any French user here be so kind as to install anthy (or any other way to input Japanese,), check that both Japanese typing and KDE deadkeys are OK and report me ?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: KDE, Anthy and French precise question FRENCH USERS HELP

Post by xenopeek »

I don't have an answer on this (not using KDE, my French is rather poor, let alone my Japanese :wink:)... But, you can easily test this yourself if nobody pitches in with a suggestion. You can download one of the KDE versions of Linux Mint, put it on a CD/DVD/USB stick, and boot your computer with it. Then install the applications you mention to test them? This won't affect your hard disk, as it is installed in memory only.
lanig

Post by lanig »

Thanks for the tip. In order to make it works, I need to install the apps, anthy, log out and then log in again without, of course, rebooting. Is it possible ?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

lanig wrote:Thanks for the tip. In order to make it works, I need to install the apps, anthy, log out and then log in again without, of course, rebooting. Is it possible ?
You can log out also from the live session, and log in again. (A reboot will of course clear everything.) Usually the username is "mint" and the password is empty.
lanig

Post by lanig »

Thanks. I download it right now.

Return to “Software & Applications”