Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternatives

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternativ

Post by myrkat »

Would be nice to see a small collection of the "must have" utilities. Like on the windows side: Beyond Compare, Treesize Pro, WinRAR, CPU-Z, MP3 Tag & Rename, TextPad is a decent (paid for) editor on windows, but gedit is not bad... not to mention all the cool Piriform apps... sure, there's 12 command-line options in linux to do CPU-z, but really, the strength is in the "all-in-one" convenient place. And why compare MS Office to Open Office? I really think that LibreOffice > OpenOffice. I also laughed when I saw the Windows Media Player -> VLC. That really should be "VLC -> VLC"

Also, I'd put in Moneydance (but it's not free) over gnuCash (free) any day, but I know the point was "free vs. paid". It just does a whole lot more (and is windows/mac/linux); the only downside is java-based = crappy fonts. Still, this begs the question: I know a lot (most?) linux users like "free" software; I think this list should also have proprietary / paid-for linux software as well.

The list does need to be updated; or better yet and in true linux fashion, let's create our own (re-invent the wheel)
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Can be interesting for students.

Origin like (to plot graph) --> QtiPlot.
joo003464

Post by joo003464 »

Its been nice to go through your post.
It has given me much knowledge & so many valuable information.

I'm feeling very nice to be here. so enjoyable... ;) ;) ;)
X-enomorph

Post by X-enomorph »

Thank you very much! This will be of great help.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I'v just found a complete replacement for PDF manipulation programs like Adobe Acrobat, Infix PDFeditor, NitroPDF, etc. (with text/image modification tools). This is MasterPDFeditor. It can be downloaded from the developer's site. Is like a "portable" app, the folder can be moved in any place. Very good program.
PDFs can be modified also with Inkscape and Libreoffice Draw. PDFmod has also some useful tools.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
devilbuilder

Post by devilbuilder »

yamawho wrote:Got this from another forum. A nice list to keep handy.

http://whdb.com/2008/the-top-50-proprie ... ernatives/
It would be better to copy it in here too, so that more people know of Linux, and that is is better cause its freedom of choice and speed joined by awesome dedicated people xD
RonanC

Post by RonanC »

Wow, that is a fantastic list.

I prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice.
When Sun took over OpenOffice the people behind it went and created LibreOffice which IMO is nicer :)
jotrago

Post by jotrago »

There is also a site dedicated to this topic. CHeck out

http://www.osalt.com/
JCH2

Post by JCH2 »

jotrago wrote:There is also a site dedicated to this topic. CHeck out

http://www.osalt.com/
Thank you for pointing this out, as I was having trouble finding some central sources. I have dabbled with Linux for a couple of years but only switched fully in the last two months. Unfortunately, I find Osalt to be poorly maintained and woefully out of date in many areas. Are there any other sites like it, either independant or attached to one or more of the distro sites?

Thank you,
steanne

Post by steanne »

http://alternativeto.net has a filter to limit results by license type.
MacLindroid

A Full List of Proprietary apps and their Linux Alternatives

Post by MacLindroid »

http://www.linuxappfinder.com/alternatives

You can add to this list if you come across an omission as well. :)
RobRobinson

Post by RobRobinson »

Wow! Thanks for that link. I have bookmarked it so I can keep going back.
Thanks again.
Rob
darkonc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkonc »

ebaut wrote:good topic, but some programs like Abletone, 3D Max, Photoshop, etc. have no similar analogs in linux =(
I wish soon it become wrong :D
3dmax -> blender, k3d, wings3d , etc.
Photoshop -> gimp et al.
Banzai Beagle

Post by Banzai Beagle »

MagnusB wrote:Still, sadly, technical software are still way behind in open source. Both AutoCAD and MATLAB breaks all competition, for 3D CAD Pro Engineer is the king. Hopefully we will see some improvements in the open source in the near future...
Where can one acquire this king of CAD?
Beagle
sammy66

Post by sammy66 »

I am a Linux/Mint newbie but so far love it. What I really miss so far is an application like "Where Is It" or "Advanced Disk Catalog" in Windows world. I am not talking about something like CD/DVD catalogin software. I have 4 internal hdd's with files/appz/images I want to search for at anytime. How to do it in Linux ? Anyone with solution ? Gnome Catalog doesn't seem to work the way I want
donalduck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donalduck »

sammy66 wrote:I am a Linux/Mint newbie but so far love it. What I really miss so far is an application like "Where Is It" or "Advanced Disk Catalog" in Windows world. I am not talking about something like CD/DVD catalogin software. I have 4 internal hdd's with files/appz/images I want to search for at anytime. How to do it in Linux ? Anyone with solution ? Gnome Catalog doesn't seem to work the way I want
I think you'll find gThumb handy with images.

As a more generic approach, just open the Terminal and learn how to use find command, especially with the -iname option.
There is a lot of advantages working directly with the text terminal, it is worth to learn indeed 8)
And after that, use aliases for your favorite image viewer, and code a little shell script to encaspulate several commands and shorten the text you type...
BTW If you haven't got millions of files on your file system, search on the fly should be very quick.

usual find examples:

Code: Select all

find ~ -size +100k -name "*Search*.jpg" -print
find / -type f -iname "*search*.jpg"  -print 2> /dev/null 
man find
sergio1234

Post by sergio1234 »

I think there are a lot of programs in Linux replacing the Windows ones. Brackets for HTML/CSS/Javascript is very good for Linux too.
Camillus

Post by Camillus »

I would use Pinta as the replacement of MS Paint, but the version in the sw manager is outdated and buggy. PPA of the Pinta don't do the job for me btw. :(
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Camillus.
Camillus wrote:I would use Pinta as the replacement of MS Paint, but the version in the sw manager is outdated and buggy. PPA of the Pinta don't do the job for me btw. :(
The thread where you posted is titled "Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternatives" and not "Pinta complaints."
You should open a new thread. Report which Mint version exactly you are using. Report which Pinta version you get from the repos. Tell us which Pinta PPA you tried. Explain what exactly does not work for you.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RobertX »

Nice list, but I'm already using alternatives to those alternatives on Linux Mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”