Firefox Needs Update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Firefox Needs Update

Postby Kynan on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:18 pm

BlackMeTaL wrote:I don't want Google crippled. I'm leaving Linux Mint and I am going back to Ubuntu. At first I went to Linux Mint because it saved me time, but with these kind of "improvements" it costs me more time instead.

nobodys forcing you to use the mint google homepage, its just if you want to help support mints growth, if it is of major annoyance to you just use the standard google homepage and continue using mint if it saves you time ;).
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlackMeTaL on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Kynan wrote:nobodys forcing you to use the mint google homepage, its just if you want to help support mints growth, if it is of major annoyance to you just use the standard google homepage and continue using mint if it saves you time ;).

I'm not talking about the Mint google homepage, it doesn't bother me at all. The quicksearch field now also redirects to the Mint thing. I use that one quite a lot and haven't found an easy way to revert it to the normal Google. So I've removed the Mint Firefox and installed the Ubuntu one for now. I think messing with my search engine is one step too far.
Last edited by BlackMeTaL on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackMeTaL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:49 pm

And what's the problem? The page looks slightly different and don't tell you the number of total hits
or am I missing something But I never use some special google thing
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby BlackMeTaL on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Husse wrote:And what's the problem? The page looks slightly different and don't tell you the number of total hits
or am I missing something But I never use some special google thing

I use the special Google things all the time, so the Mint version is essentially crippled for me. And I'm not the only one. Someone in my family also using Linux Mint has already complained about the difference.
BlackMeTaL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Esrick on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Everything is still there, just don't enter anything in the Google search bar. Instead hit the magnifying glass and then a Mint Google search menu will pop up with all your options like Images, Video, Gmail, Maps, etc all there. You can also hit the down arrow next to the G in the Google search area and scroll down to Google Images for image searching. You can move the Google Images up near the top to make it faster to find. One more step sure, but it helps support Mint.
Esrick

Postby deadguy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:25 pm

I don't mind the "mint" google at all!
actually I kinda like it.

if it helps mint financially like Clem says,
then I'm for it 110% :wink:
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby rcdeacon on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Well, I put my mine back to its original. I have absolutely no problem supporting Mint wherever I can.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rcdeacon on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:33 pm

I just set my home page to http://www.linuxmint.com/start.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:28 pm

Clem,

I came across this a while back and thought it was a brilliant idea although I wasnt sure if it would be something you would be interested in doing for Mint. Now seeing the latest developments with Firefox I think that it is something you might like to offer as an opt in.

http://www.iheartmiro.org/
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:08 pm

belovedmonster: That's a smart idea. I'm not planning to do anything else though, the reason I'm changing this google search plugin is simply because it could (will) make us grow and let us start working full time on Mint.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby blues-guy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:19 pm

So why doesn't the MintGoogle search page allow "Advance" search etc like the standard google page we used to get?

I'll just use Opera for my searches until this is fixed in Mint or I figure out how to "fix" it in Firefox.

Maybe just install the Ubuntu version of Firefox?
blues-guy
Level 2
Level 2

Here's how to fix it -Re: Firefox Needs Update

Postby blues-guy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:12 pm

go to

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682

install the addon and restart Firefox

go to google http://www.google.com

right click in google search bar and select "add to search bar"

left-click arrow at left side of firefox search nar

select "manage search engine"

you should find google at th bottom of the list

move it to the top

Easier than wasting lots of time as I did trying to edit/find out what to enter in /usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/google.xml

Hope this helps.
blues-guy
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ElEdwards on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:13 pm

Clem,
I just reset my homepage to the default, too. :)
.... but I did notice that after I set and saved my Google Preferences from this page, it returns an "unknown url" page.

El :)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cmost on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:43 am

@LinuxSuper There's no reason for you to be so obnoxious. If you don't care for Mint's version of Firefox, then don't use it. Simple. You can install the generic Firfox with Ubuntuzilla, or use Swiftfox, or use another browser altogether. In any case, there is no reason to put down Linux Mint or deride its developers. Everyone has to make a living, including the developers of Mint. Free software doesn't come from thin air.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby clem on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:23 am

Note: LinuxSuper asked for his forum account to be deleted. As he only had made 8 posts in the forums and 3 of them were quite insulting I decided to delete the posts as well. I'm happy to see there's a way to change the search plugin to its original google values. Although I don't want to encourage people to do this it's good for them to know. I'll make a blog post about this and include a chapter on this in the Elyssa user guide.

Thanks,
Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby exploder on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 pm

I am more than happy to use the new version of Firefox with the described changes. I have seen revenue that Mint has earned put back into the project and has benefited everyone. This is also an opportunity for us to help out financially. If a very small inconvenience can generate this kind of revenue, it is very worthwhile. I hope other's will have the same view on this and do their part and help out.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Foomandoonian on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Like most people, I was annoyed by the Mint search, but now have a better understanding of why it's like that. I think the important takeaway here is is to communicate with your users, like clem did so eloquently. Remember that when you're bigger than Microsoft :wink:

(PS: I'm happy to support Mint, but I have only ever clicked on about two ads online and one of those was by accident! :P )
foomandoonian.net: My tumblelog
'from freedom came elephants'
Foomandoonian
Level 2
Level 2

Postby blues-guy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 pm

clem

re my above posts and the "fix" for the Google search, I have nothing against LinuxMint seeking revenue this way, but it seems from your post that its Google itself that is acually crippling your version of the Search.

I understand that you ( notice I said YOU) cannot break this agreement in how you implement the Search, however WE can.

I have found elsewhere on the Web that in the /usr/share/fireox/searchplugins/google.xml that the line

"<MozParam name="client" condition="defaultEngine" trueValue="firefox-a" falseV" gives the Mozilla org credit for all searches.

( see http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/01/clie ... refox.html)

What do we need to enter in place of "firefox-a" falseV" for LinuxMint to get the search revenue?

blues-guy
blues-guy
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Peterburd on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:13 am

To change the subject :)

My credit union's website won't allow me to log in using the latest Mint Firefox. It didn't let me do it with the old version either, and I was hoping the upgrade would fix it. The version used in Feisty worked fine. What is it about Mint Firefox that it would be rejected? I understand there might be more than one answer. Any suggestion or point to a good link would be appreciated.
Peterburd
Level 1
Level 1

Changing Opera settings to support Mint

Postby Tony G on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:52 am

As an Opera user (I use 9.5b, but it should also work in 9.25), you can make the following changes to emulate MintFox (I have):

Go to http://www.linuxmint.com/start/;

Right-click on the search window; select "create search"; click on "details"; select "use as default search engine" and "use as speed-dial search engine."

Thanks Clem for making the distro that will eventually replace Windows entirely for me (if only I could make my pesky printers work. . . .).

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Software & Applications