Firefox Needs Update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Firefox Needs Update

Postby clem on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:20 am

blues-guy: Mozilla doesn't use a Google Custom Search Engine, they use something tailored by Google specifically for them... they are in a position to use the default engine and get a commission at the same time. We're small and Google isn't interested in giving us (or other browsers) the same ability so we're using their simple Custom Search Engine in which they don't feature all the shiny things. There are signs that cached links may come back though and for the Images we simply added a separate search plugin. Trust me we did ask Google to activate these features, they're not saying no, they simply don't want to comment on this.

Peterburd: I suspect the website you're talking about checks the user agent and requires Internet Explorer. You can install Internet Explorer under Linux by looking here: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Tony G: We're planning on branding Konqueror and Opera as well (user agent, default configuration, start page, search plugin). This time we'll make sure people know why we're doing this and how to revert to the original search plugin if they want to.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Here's how to fix it -Re: Firefox Needs Update

Postby localhost on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 am

blues-guy wrote:go to
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682
install the addon and restart Firefox
go to google http://www.google.com
right click in google search bar and select "add to search bar"
left-click arrow at left side of firefox search nar
select "manage search engine"
you should find google at th bottom of the list
move it to the top
Easier than wasting lots of time as I did trying to edit/find out what to enter in /usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/google.xml
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. This helps a lot with this not so wanted change to the google builtin search.
localhost
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pallabbasu on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:06 am

Changing the google search is some how irritating for me and few of my friends and we like to install ubuntu firefox or change the search engine etc. But to help our beloved Mint, we just like to run an automated script which will automatically click on the Ads( :wink: we know it is not the cleanest deal). Any suggestion?
pallabbasu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby g0lrk on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 am

Well I have no problem with the 'minty' version of Google.
Let it ride as long as, I can put up with it as it doesn't really make that much difference to me here.
Well done Clem, and long live Mint.
Kevin.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:10 pm

automated script which will automatically click on the Ads

Please don't. This goes against Google's terms.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby pallabbasu on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Ok, we won't. We will use mint search for sometimes.
pallabbasu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Here's how to fix it -Re: Firefox Needs Update

Postby vega_1 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:50 pm

blues-guy wrote:go to

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682

install the addon and restart Firefox

go to google http://www.google.com

right click in google search bar and select "add to search bar"

left-click arrow at left side of firefox search nar

select "manage search engine"

you should find google at th bottom of the list

move it to the top

Easier than wasting lots of time as I did trying to edit/find out what to enter in /usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/google.xml

Hope this helps.

This add on does not work with Linux Mint Daryna branded Fx. Upon installing, nothing happens. There are no options on right clicking the google search bar to "add to search bar", and there is no google added to the bottom of the list. The only google in the list continues to be the Mint branded google. I also noticed Fx add on pages on the Mozilla site also seem to be "Mint" branded, with green install buttons, etc, and some information missing from the pages, such as what versions of Fx the add on will work with. They are completely different than the normal add on pages using Fx on XP Pro. Not sure if that has something to do with this add on not working.....

While it's nice to *want* to generate money and support, most people don't appreciate having their browser hijacked in this manner. There should aways be a choice for the user without having to jump through hoops. Using the Mint branded searches should be opt-in, not forced. In that way, more people might be inclined to use it rather than find a permanent way around it.

I am a new Mint user...unfortunately, this issue lowers my opinion of Mint.
vega_1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:05 pm

Well, for me, this is a pretty much an insignificant issue. If you really don't like it with that much conviction, change it. That is one of Linux's strong suites. You can make it what you want it to be. You don't have to settle for what the default is.

On the other hand, if we are down to debating the layout of a simple search page, that just reinforces my opinion that Clem and crew must be doing quite a bit right. :-)

My thoughts,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby ed@Mint on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Well i'm completely stunned to see how some people are outraged by this :shock:
I mean what are 1 or 2 more clicks when you have the opportunity to give such a beautiful project as Linux Mint money, and this without doing anything ??

I know that everybody has its surfing habits and how it is uncomfortable if you go on somebody else's PC (for example).
But saying that those 2 more clicks required by the mintgoogle changes everything sounds a bit exagerated to me...
Sure, if you perform 10 google searches in a row, you might loose like 5 to 10 seconds, but since i already consider myself a heavy surfer
(though i admit no using a lot of google specific stuff), do you really make so many searches in 1 hour ?

So chill out boys, and be proud helping the community :wink:
peace
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:01 am

As a member of the team my opinion may be thought of as biased
But, quite honestly - I did not even notice the change at first :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ShadeTree on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:03 pm

I had to replace the search options. The results were so heavily slanted compared to the google.com page that I was missing pertinent and vital information.

ShadeTree
ShadeTree
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:20 am

The results were so heavily slanted compared to the google.com page

???
Do you mean you got different results - it's exactly the same search engine
I get slightly different results as in the Mint search I'm on google.com but on "normal" google I'm redirected to google.se which has more hits on swedish sites
You may also end up in a local google in the "normal mode"
Apart from that you get the same result (just checked)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby vulpes on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:14 pm

Ah. So this was the reason for "Petit" Google search. I guess I can live with it for the most part... As Husse said, the searches themselves are not different (just confirmed this myself as well).

But if it is absolutely necessary to have separate engine for Google and Google image, could we at least have different favicon for the search bar to visually indicate which plugin is currently being used? I know that when the field is empty, it will show the name of the search engine, but that's only useful until a cursor lands on it. Also, once you run a search using the search bar, your last entry on it remains - so you have to remember which one you had set it to last from that point onward.

On top of that, I don't use the mouse to access the search bar - I simply hit Ctrl+K and start entering without really looking, so it's very easy for me to get it mixed up. Would it be possible to modify the Google image favicon slightly so that the users know which one is being used all the time, or is that against the Goggle's policies as well?

P.S. The backspace thing may be useful for those used to Windows and IE... But I thought that was one of the most annoying "features" of IE - I would be typing something on the web form, misplace the cursor (usually by accidentally hitting tab or clicking elsewhere on the page) and hit delete and lose whatever I was writing. If anyone wants to set its behavior differently, read this article.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.backspace_action
vulpes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cgraham on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:44 am

When will Firefox 2.0.0.14 be updated?
cgraham
Level 1
Level 1

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:16 pm

There was only 1 fix in this update with the release of Firefox 3 in Elyssa in the next few weeks. This is considered a critical security vulnerability. But I think the team should be focusing on finishing all that needs to be done on the new release if they are pressed for time. Below are the fixes:

Fixed in Firefox 2.0.0.14
MFSA 2008-20 Crash in JavaScript garbage collector
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clem on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 am

I'm waiting on the upstream patching by Ubuntu for 2.0.0.14. By the way, I think it's a good idea to change the favicon for Google Images, what do you recommend we use instead of the Google Logo? Or maybe we can add a little image as an emblem on top of google... (maybe we can put a mint logo on top of Google for the custom search as well).

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:06 pm

I think a mint green google logo would be nice.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby vulpes on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:57 pm

So I take it that there's no restriction as far as what you do with the favicon...

I personally was thinking of a small emblem next to the Google logo. A small pencil or a brush of some sort would be nice, but since the space is too tight, a small "I" for image might suffice, provided that it's clearly visible (perhaps taking up a little less than 1/4 of the favicon's size - towards one of the corners).

As far as replacing Google icon with Mint's goes, I have mixed feelings.

On the plus side,
  • It will definitely look nicer
  • Since different icon will clearly give it its own identity, it might help with people complaining about how Google search is crippled in Mint. People will probably be more likely to just accept the different Google behavior.
On the other hand,
  • I don't know if Google will appreciate their logo getting replaced
  • Crippled or not, it still IS Google - meaning that there could be some criticism for "tricking" the users into thinking that you provide your own search.
vulpes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby guest on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:58 pm

I personally like google because of it's simplicity, and quick loading time, I don't see this from the mint homepage/search engine, so, although I love linux mint, I would prefer a default google one. If mint developers could come up with a more minimalistic version, I'd definitely switch to it!

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:24 pm

guest,

Did you read enough of this thread to see that Mint gets a revenue stream from this? Do you donate anything to Mint to help support the distro? Even if it is true that your load times are not as quick, isn't it a small price to pay for such a nice distro that costs you nothing monetarily?

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Software & Applications