KDE 4 Opinions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

KDE 4 Opinions

Postby rustyman99 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 'Dolphin' really is the best file browser I've ever seen.
It really does seem as intuitive as it was proclaimed to be.
Whether its the amount of personal options available or the ability to multi browse files/partitions/hd's etc really are like poetry in motion.
Advances like this and 'Time Machine' on Leopard are truly groundbreaking advances in OS usability.

My 2 cents :wink:
rustyman99
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: KDE 4 Opinions

Postby AlexSlocker on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm

It is true that I've tested very little KDE4, so I'm giving general impression. First of all, I didn't like the new menu. I don't know why, but it doesn't show you all the apps you have installed, just a few. I don't like, either, the fact that having icons on the desktop means have them as widgets, I think it is not very user-friendly, not seeing anything in your desktop, and also, a place when you can easily have acess to. Now I have to open a folder to take certain file, for example. The problem with the icon widgets, is that you cannot organize them instead of by hand, and they look pretty ugly the way they are. Also the taskbar isn't the best point of it. In the end, I can't understand why they've launch KDE4 if they haven't completed Oxygen icon theme yet. There're a bunch of apps without Oxygen icon and they're using wether a general one or KDE3 version.

Now, the good points. I really like Dolphin as well, I think it makes you do many things and lets you work the way you prefer. In other words: has such a versality, that you can do the layout you want, to work the way you wish. Another thing is (but not of KDE4 in particular) the speed of caching image miniatures. While in Gnome it lasts years to make image miniatures, KDE/Qt makes them in a blink. Awesome. I like also (thinking in the end user) the integration of the compositing manager, because it's much easier for the end user to have it running and configured. Because now we have a startup script and, the CSSM, it's a nightmare of options and names (the exposé-like plugin is named 'scale'). It is just a nonesense, and against any rational usability.
AlexSlocker

Postby cmost on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Overall, I don't like the new KDE 4 much. I don't like the new kicker, I don't like the superfluous widgets all over the desktop (especially the little configuration do-dad stuck in the corner;) I detest the revamped K-menu; and Dolphin is huge and over-reaching (too much wasted space!) in my opinion. I'm sure the new "4" series will become more polished and refined as new iterations are released (i.e., 4.1, 4.2...) but right now, it's just not ready. As a die-hard KDE user from the start (I ran it as my desktop of choice when I switched over to Linux 5 years ago) I'm not what you'd consider a Gnome fanboy so please don't start a flame war. I have to hand it to the Gnome developers: while they may not provide the most stunning or in-your-face innovations with each release, they have put together a damn nice desktop. Each update brings slow but steady refinements and adds more power. Over time, the cumulative effect is a rock-solid desktop. Right now, I'm very pleased with Gnome and its professional, simple philosophy serves me well. I'm looking forward to Gnome 2.22 and especially 2.24 come Fall.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm waiting for KDE 4.1.0 to try it...

I don't know if I will like or not, but at least it have a nice layout...
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications