FrostWire / LimeWire: hidden folder being shared??

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

FrostWire / LimeWire: hidden folder being shared??

Post by scorp123 »

Question to the FrostWire / LimeWire users out here:

If you do a ls -al on your .frostwire and/or .limewire directory (inside your home directory), do you also see a .NetworkShare directory in there? And do you also have a LimeWire*.exe file in there? Yes, that's a Windows *.exe file. And does it also come back after a while even though you delete it?

Apparently there is a hidden feature in LimeWire and FrostWire that will share files without your knowledge. Too bad if someone (e.g. a hacker or someone else who wants to BS you) places files in there that are illegal in your area .... FrostWire and LimeWire will not list those files as being shared at all; so in theory you could be sharing very problematic files and not know it ...

I think that's bad ... :?

But maybe this was just the beta version I got? Can someone please check their .frostwire directory and verify this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Damn, then it's the beta version I was using. Seems they used some Windows code taken over from LimeWire (of which FrostWire is a fork) to auto-spread the new client amongst their users. I nontheless think this is a bad ugly feature ...

Return to “Software & Applications”