sound not working at all

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

sound not working at all

Postby SZahara on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here so long story short: Windows has ticked me off for the last time so I decided to switch to Linux about 2 weeks ago. It's been a rather strange and esoteric journey so far, but I'm really commited to making this relationship work :D
Anyhow, yesterday I was trying for the first time to play a movie on my TV through the HDMI cable. The video part came through a little buggy but that's a different post, the sound didn't come through at all. I tried a few suggestions I found online of installing Alsamixer and futzing around with various settings there (didn't work, BTW). At that point sound on regular playback was still fine (ie. I could watch shows and stuff directly on the laptop, TV still didn't work). So I decided to take a break and upgrade from Olivia to Petra which I was planning on doing for a while anyhow. Update went fine but when I rebooted now I have no sound anywhere. On the start menu my little speaker thing is gone and under control center there's the sound button but when i click it it says "starting sound" for as few seconds and then nothing happens. On my Windows partition (it's a dual-boot) sound's fine.
Any suggestions? As you've probably guessed I'm pretty clueless about what I'm doing here.
SZahara
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: sound not working at all

Postby Flemur on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Any suggestions? As you've probably guessed I'm pretty clueless about what I'm doing here.

Linux audio is clueless.

Try this:
$ alsamixer
and
$ pavucontrol
to make sure there's nothing muted, etc.

When that doesn't work, try this:
$ rm -r ~/.pulse
and any other "pulse" directories/files in your home directory.

When that doesn't work, reinstall the sound stuff with your HDMI hooked up:
$ sudo apt-get purge alsa-base
$ sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
$ sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio pavucontrol

and if still not working, do the alsamixer/pavucontrol thing again.
Mint 16/Xfce/fluxbox, Manjaro/fluxbox, LMDE/MATE
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5

Postby SZahara on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:00 pm

okay, so I tried all that and it's still not doing anything. this is what I get: (and yes, I've named my computer Orlando, a named computer is a happy computer):

shakti@Orlando ~ $ alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
shakti@Orlando ~ $ pavucontrol
The program 'pavucontrol' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

I'd tried the "$ sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio pavucontrol" and it was installing for a while but it's acting like it's not. Should I try through the software manager to install maybe? Under applications > sound & video neither program shows up
SZahara
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SZahara on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Alright, I eventually got it back to working like it was. TV out still doesn't work but I'll struggle with that one later. Thanks!
SZahara
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs