Sound Hardware Not Detected - Xen Install

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sound Hardware Not Detected - Xen Install

Postby CmdrZero on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

So my build boots into a headless Linux Mint 14 x64 (with or without Xen, but more on that in a second) with a dummy monitor set up in my xorg so I can VNC into it and use the GUI. Booting it with Xen, I noticed that no sound hardware is detected. Thinking it could have something to do with my PCI handoffs, I rebooted it without Xen to inspect.

Booting Mint without Xen still shows no sound hardware detected, as evidenced in the GUI and by the following:
inxi -Axx result:
Code: Select all
XenGarden ~ # inxi -Axx
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series] driver: pciback bus-ID: 02:00.1
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6800 Series] driver: pciback bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-3: VIA VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller driver: snd_ice1724 ports: c080 c000 bus-ID: 04:06.0
           Card-4: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25

And then the aplay -l returns no cards. (While in Xen, it shows the cards initiated by the guest OSes).

HOWEVER, when I boot without Xen, one of the GPU heads that would normally be passed off comes up with cmdline asking me to login in addition to the virtual VNC monitor with GUI. If I sign into this cmdline, all of my sound cards immediately become available. However, because I never see this cmdline login screen if I boot into Xen (because Xen passes off all the graphics heads), I can't use that as a fix. I'm sure I'm way off on what I need to be doing here, but I've tried SSH-ing to force whatever that login script is doing to no avail, and I'm stuck. I don't really know where to go from there.
CmdrZero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs