Totem fails to inhibit mate screensaver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mchojrin

Totem fails to inhibit mate screensaver

Post by mchojrin »

Hi:

I recently upgraded from Mint 11 to 13. I'm using mate desktop. Everything goes smoothly except for the fact that whenever I try to play a video (using both Totem or VLC), even though I selected the option to inhibit the screen saver, it's still active and thus interrupting my video every 10 minutes. I read some posts on this forum and on some other websites but coudln't really get to the bottom of this issue.

I checked and found that I have xdg-screensaver installed but disabled at all times, so... I could really use a hand here :D Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joez

Re: Totem fails to inhibit mate screensaver

Post by joez »

I just installed Mint 13 Maya and am experiencing the same results playing a video with Totem. I didn't experience this problem with Mint 11 or Mint 12.

I just tried installing "gnome-power-manager" and "gnome-screensaver" after reading the following Q and A at http://projects.gnome.org/totem/

Q: Why does my screen go into power saving mode whilst the player is actually playing a video?
A: You will either need gnome-screensaver and gnome-power-manager running, or none of those two. Totem talks to gnome-screensaver to stop the screensaver itself, which in turn talks to gnome-power-manager to avoid going into power saving modes. If none of those are running, Totem will use X directly to disable the screensaver.

Neither was installed previously, but installing both failed to eliminate the problem.
hyuga

Post by hyuga »

I am also having problems with Totem in LM13 MATE edition. While playing videos using Totem I can't reposition whithin the playback, if I try to reposition the video freezes. I never had the same problem with LM12
MPlayer works fine, i'm able to reposition videos without problems.

The below is the output from the terminal when I run totem and load a video.
h@h-MS-7345 ~ $ totem

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Read/writable property 'object' on class 'ZeitgeistDpPlugin' has type 'TotemObject' which is not exactly equal to the type 'GObject' of the property on the interface 'PeasActivatable'

** (totem:9663): WARNING **: Problem inhibiting the screensaver: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

** (totem:9663): WARNING **: Problem inhibiting the screensaver: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(totem:9663): Totem-CRITICAL **: totem_object_get_ui_manager: assertion `TOTEM_IS_OBJECT (totem)' failed

(totem:9663): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_ui_manager_remove_ui: assertion `GTK_IS_UI_MANAGER (manager)' failed

(totem:9663): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_ui_manager_remove_action_group: assertion `GTK_IS_UI_MANAGER (manager)' failed
h@h-MS-7345 ~ $
Has anyone found a solution for this yet?
lupa18

Post by lupa18 »

I have Linux Mint 13 and the same problem with totem. Any idea?
toxiccity90

Post by toxiccity90 »

This issue is still present in linux mint 14. Running MATE 1.4.0 and Totem 3.4.3 . I have tried caffeine and no luck, as from what I can tell caffeine doesn't catch the issue. I have tried the MATE auto sleep inhibitor applet which works, but however isn't a good permanent solution as this results in the machine never sleeping if the applet is set to inhibit all forms of sleep. I need a good medium betweent the two. Something that tells MATE session to sleep if totem isn't playing a video , or playing music like it does with Gnome 3. But at the same time won't enable a screensaver every 5 minutes if I don't move my mouse. Is there any work around this issue??

Also have already tried : xset -dpms & other similar things involving xset with no luck either. I think this could be resolved if mate-screensaver could see that totem is running and that gstreamer is running.
:?:
rewind

Post by rewind »

Just to inform you guys, just found an working solution in here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 41#p667541
Cheers and Happy New 2013! :)
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hhead »

This is a longstanding issue as far as Totem is concerned. I use VLC which doesn't have this problem.. also in VLC you can wind fwd.

Return to “Sound”