Youtube and similar on fast-forward?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Youtube and similar on fast-forward?

Postby Nihilist on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:22 am

every site like Youtube i have tried since i upgraded to mint 13 64bit cinnamon is soundless and on fast forward it appears. this has never been an issue before with mint. all updates have been applied. my box is a 2ghz 64 bit amd processor with 4g ddr2 ram. any help would be appreciated.
Nihilist
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Youtube and similar on fast-forward?

Postby Total_Blue on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 am

Nihilist wrote:every site like Youtube i have tried since i upgraded to mint 13 64bit cinnamon is soundless and on fast forward it appears. this has never been an issue before with mint. all updates have been applied. my box is a 2ghz 64 bit amd processor with 4g ddr2 ram. any help would be appreciated.

Check your sound configuration to make sure your sound card is configured properly. I was having the same problem and noticed that my system had defaulted to using the HDMI output on my graphics card for sound rather than the sound card. After disabling the HDMI, and configuring the built in audio to 5.1 surround, it started working for me again.
Total_Blue
Level 2
Level 2

Postby craig100 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm having the same problem I think. All Flash FlowPlayer videos and some others run at fast forward for parts of the show. They change between normal speed and much faster then back again. Banshee and Rhythmbox both skip like crazy when listening to MP3's. Was never like this with MInt 12 x64 Cinnamon. Running Mint 13 x64 Cinnamon. Can we expect a fix before too long? It's a major embarrassment when showing off to the Windows and Mac crowds.
craig100
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mentita on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:39 pm

total_blues' explanation solved for me the problem.

just go in the menu to system tools > system settings ---> sound
and switch under hardware the wrong (or not functioning) graphiccard driver off (in my case was it the HDMI Radeon HD somethingsomething)

here same thing:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=107228
mentita
Level 1
Level 1

Postby craig100 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 pm

I have no issue with sound, it's just the video's play at seriously variable rates. Start speed x2 or3 then back to normal for a minute then off again. Have NVidia GeForce 9600 GT/PCIe/SSE2 card. Using the recommended driver on a dual screen set up Mint 12 x64 Cinnamon. I doubt it's the video card, probably more likely to be codecs. Are there any updates coming as i'm obviously not the only one with this problem?
craig100
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mentita on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:57 am

yep... sounds like more or less the same problem... ^^

somehow drivers get mixed up. for the sound it uses the HD graphic driver and this generates the fastforwarding in the movies... (for me was the same in youtube)

its like magic... hrhrhr
mentita
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Yyrkoon on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks to Total_Blue my problem is now solved. I thought it was the plugins and the Flash version. Then I found that Quicktime movies had the same speed problem and no sound. Lo and behold my output was set to HDMI and I changed it.

Yyrkoon
Yyrkoon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vivaelgato on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:36 pm

THANK YOU Total_Blue. What an odd quirk...I never would have thought of this solution in a million years. I'm serious. I spent like two hours trying various versions/configs of flash to correct this issue.
vivaelgato
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jungle_boy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

In sound settings choose analogic stereo instead HDMI digital sound, and done.
LM17 Cinnamon (PC and Notebook) with AMD Catalyst
HP Pavilion g4-1316br, AMD Quad Core, 1,5 GHz, Radeon 6520G/7450M,
Linuxcounter Registered User #506065 (2008)
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs