(File) Pidgin xfire - updated gfire_games.xml

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

(File) Pidgin xfire - updated gfire_games.xml

Postby FrozenFoxZX on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Update April 12, 08: The new gfire devs have a new version in (unreleased at the time of this post) beta testing. Please see their new site for the most up to date gfire_games.xml and gfire version. http://edhewitt.co.uk/gfire/ as such, this post (and the section on my site) will no longer be updated.

[*Old - See above* Update: April 7, 08]

Hey guys,

Im not sure if this is the right place to put it, but here it is anyway.

For those of you who use the xfire plugin for gaim/pidgin, and noticed the database out of date (people are playing a number instead of a game name), here you go. It's updated up to April 7, 2008.

Attached is a tar file containing an updated gfire_games.xml so that pidgin will correctly display such stuff.

To install:

1) Untar the file. Right click and untar it or put it on your desktop and in the terminal/console/konsole run: tar -xvf ~/Desktop/April-7-08-gfire_games.xml.tar.gz

2) Put it yourself via your favorite file manager/browser in /home/YOURNAME/.purple/ (notice the dot) to replace your current one. Alternatively, after the command in step 1, the command will be one of these two: cp ~/Desktop/gfire_games.xml ~/.purple or cp ~/gfire_games.xml ~/.purple

3) In pidgin, go to account-->xfire-->reload game id list.

EDIT: Would be useful to actually add the attachment.

If you have problems otherwise downloading the file, it is also available http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/gfiregames.html here at my webpage.
Attachments
April-7-08-gfire_games.xml.tar.gz
(13.68 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by FrozenFoxZX on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FrozenFoxZX
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: (File) Pidgin xfire - updated gfire_games.xml

Postby Husse on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Always welcome...
Games in Pidgin? Thought it was an IM client :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby FrozenFoxZX on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:21 am

Hehe, if you have the gfire plugin, it will allow you to use the xfire IM, which tracks what games your friends are playing (and in Windows you can talk in-game with it). The gfire games database however was out of date, and before I worked on this file, was missing a LOT of games. As such, the xfire game number instead of the appropriate game name would be shown as what they were playing. This newest update added 50, the previous one I did must have added several hundred. You can also right click the person's name in the buddy list to join their game (it also shows the ip of the server theyre playing in, if an online game) via right click if gfire is set up correctly. If you use some program called xqf or something, gfire will detect your game and post your game status.

Configuring gfire to have the correct path and info for your games kind of sucks though, it's via a text file. I was writing a program a little ways back to do this through GUI, but I never finished it beyond the gui and about 1/5 of the functionality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/ ... Helper.png
FrozenFoxZX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby FrozenFoxZX on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Update: Xfire released an update a few hours ago (April 7 2008). I've updated the games list accordingly. See the first post for the new file. Due to how often this file is updated, after this post, I will not bump this thread anymore, I will only update it (and it will probably move to the thread graveyard ;D). So please refer back to this post yourself whenever you think your xfire list is out of date, and I may have it updated. If it is not up to date, go ahead and tell me (preferably on aim), and I may work on it.
FrozenFoxZX
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs