PulseAudio Volume Control problem(s)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

PulseAudio Volume Control problem(s)

Postby UUUnicorn on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:15 am

Please, I hope that I'm not posting this in the wrong location.

Some additional information here: I'm using Linux Mint 13 Xfce "Maya" on an Asus Eee PC 1201N-PU17-SL. This netbook has NVIDIA Ion graphics card.
I have activated the Additional Driver "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version-current) [Recommended]".

After the most recent update as of this morning, I have NO sound. I tried going into PulseAudio Volume Control (which is version 0.99.2-1build1 in Linux Mint 13 Xfce), and I can no longer access any of the controls. I get this:

"Establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait..."

The latest version of PulseAudio Volume Control is 2.0, but I hesitate trying to update it myself. Could someone who works with the PPAs and/or repository/-ies please be informed? I would very, VERY much appreciate this; thank you.

Sincerely,

UUUnicorn
UUUnicorn
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: PulseAudio Volume Control problem(s)

Postby viking777 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:00 pm

The first thing anyone would need to know is what it was you upgraded this morning. The answer is in /var/log/apt/history.log probably the last entry unless you upgraded more than once today. Post that information here and lets see if anything in there has anything to do with sound.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:16 pm

The same thing happened to me. Apparently it is a problem with a Mint-specific codec package. I solved it by installing ubuntu-restricted-extras from Synaptic. It uninstalled the Mint codecs and installed the codecs that are installed when you do an Ubuntu installation. Sound works again.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby UUUnicorn on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 pm

I have just fixed it by installing gnome-alsamixer, then opening the software and unmuting ev'rything.

I wonder if I should uninstall PulseAudio Volume Control--basically, this very old, buggy version seems detrimental and useless!

EDIT: When I start watching a Youtube video, two seconds after I've started the video and it starts loading, it freezes and stays that way for around 20 seconds or so.
Sometimes, a small windows pops up with "Kill pages" and "Wait" buttons from which to choose.
UUUnicorn
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Oscar799 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:52 am

Moved here by moderator
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs