Midi files

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Midi files

Post by npap »

Hello,
Can somebody tell me if he was able to play Midi files downloaded in a Windows Fat32 partition?
I thought that this was no problem with Mint.
I have installed Mplayer and the Mplayer plugin. I also have Kmid. But so far I had no success.
Any help would be appreciated as I am almost a newbie.

Otherwise, I really enjoy testing the Mint, which I'll admit it has me stunned.
npap
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Try installing timidity if you don't have actual midi hardware.

If you have actual midi hardware then I need to know what kind you have.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Fragadelic wrote:Try installing timidity if you don't have actual midi hardware.

If you have actual midi hardware then I need to know what kind you
have.
Hello Fragadelic,
Thank you for your help.
I just installed Timidity with Synaptic, but it is nowhere to be found. It's not listed in Multimedia. Could it be invisible???
I have Kmid, which apparently is a midi player. But every time I try to play a midi file, I get this note: Cannot open /dev/sequencer.
I also have Mplayer with the mplayer plugin installed, But midis don't work.
Greetings.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Right click on a midi file in the file browser and select open with...

When it pops up the option list, select custom and type in timidity and click ok. That should make it so that when you click on them they will open with timidity.

kmid tries to use a hardware midi player which would be connected through the game/midi port on your sound card to an actual hardware midi sequencer like a roland mt01 or similar.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Midi files

Post by npap »

Fragadelic wrote:Right click on a midi file in the file browser and select open with...

When it pops up the option list, select custom and type in timidity and click ok. That should make it so that when you click on them they will open with timidity.

kmid tries to use a hardware midi player which would be connected through the game/midi port on your sound card to an actual hardware midi sequencer like a roland mt01 or similar.

Hello Fragadelic,
I can't thank you enough for your help. Your suggestion and directions on how to use Timidity solved my problem.
I've been trying all kinds of software for quite some time now with no success.
I hope other newbies who have a problem playing midi files will read this
message. :D
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

No problem. There aren't many of us midi file lovers left ;)

I have a roland mt01 at home and I also have a yamaha midi enabled keyboard so I used to do quite a bit of midi stuff in years gone by.

The old soundblaster awe64 was a great midi enabled sound card. Most of the cards today don't haev that anymore so this is where timidity comes in. It is a software sequencer.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Timidity midi player

Post by npap »

Hi again Fragadelic,
I've been a music lover ever since I was a baby.
I often, during my youth, used to buy and try to master anything that made a sound, starting with a wooden flute, a harmonica and accordion in turn, a guitar, and ended up with an electronic keyboard (the dream of my life).

Of course, I never really mastered most of the instruments but I had a good time trying. Now, my keyboard is collecting dust somewhere.
Well, thanks to your help I am enjoying a Mozart piano concerto in the background, right now, as I am writing this message.

A million thanks!
npap :P
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Funny you should mention Mozart. Thats what I listen to in my van on the way to and from work every day. I find classical music helps calm me and at the end of the day it is nice to peacefully unwind on the drive home.

I used to create many midi's of classical and large band music but I can't find them anymore :(

Not sure what I did with them. They took hours to complete but the end result was spectacular especially from the roland sequencer. It was like being in the concert hall in the first row.

Return to “Sound”