(solved)another no sound problem (with video playing bonus)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

(solved)another no sound problem (with video playing bonus)

Postby Shoutr on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:11 pm

hello,

i tried everything and anything i could find.

So, i have a new computer: intel core i5 on a gigabyte Z77M-D3H, radeon 7850 and 4Gb of ram and a sound blaster x-fi extreme (chipset C0106). I have windows installed for the games on a ssd, and i have mint 13 installed on another dd. (i used to have ubuntu 11.04 but the GC is not supported, and i don't like unity at all, so i installed mint instead).
The problem i have is there is no sound, except systems ones, and apparently it mess up any and all video player i try to play because they freeze up after loading the files. Same for flash player (youtube): firefox freeze and hang until the flash player crash.
The sound button in the control center doesn't work at all (i have an icon saying it's loading, and then nothing happens), and i have no sound icon on the tray either.
alsamixer clearly shows 2 sound cards detected (the first one is the x-fi, the second one is the ATI one), the volume are set correctly too. And yet, the only sounds i can play are the one from the system.

I tried recompiling alsa drivers, i tried other distro too, the problem remains the same: no sound and video freezes.

Help please, i don't want to go back to windows for anything else than the games...
Last edited by Shoutr on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoutr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: another no sound problem (with video playing bonus)

Postby Shoutr on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 am

Partially solved thanks to this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTl ... SFLMI/edit (procedure Ac for me).

Apparently my sound card was not activated in alsa, not matter how many times i installed it or how many times i installed a fresh distro of linux.
Now i have sound and the video players are working properly.
Except that the player becomes laggy for a few seconds when i increase or decrease the volume (sound still plays, but the image freeze).
And i still can't access to sound control in the control center.
Shoutr
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs