Alsa or Pulseaudio

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Alsa or Pulseaudio

Postby nomko on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:25 am

Which on is better? Pulseaudio or Alsa? and why? I'm really curious about this since both are installed.
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Alsa or Pulseaudio

Postby xenopeek on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:42 am

ALSA is a Linux kernel component to interface with sound cards. It is pretty basic. PulseAudio is a sound server, through which all sound is routed, mixed, and output to ALSA (or routed through network to a sound server on another computer). PulseAudio runs on top of ALSA and adds a lot of features. The most obvious of these is it allows multiple applications to output sound at the same time (ALSA allows only one sound source). Like if you have a email client that will annoy you with some sound when new email arrives, you won't be able to play music at the same time with only ALSA but it's not a problem with PulseAudio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... chitecture
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Mozenrath on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:54 am

Why couldn't the features like the mixing simply be written into the ALSA kernel module? Seems to me that just having that would eliminate a lot of the need for Pulseaudio, and would reduce latency problems.
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Flemur on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 am

@Mozenrath - The answer is: Audio on Linux is a mess. (google that phrase*!)

@nomko - I install pulse so I can record "what you hear"; other than that, everything works with just ALSA (I don't care about mulilple apps playing at the same time).

*Edit: "Lennart Poettering, a lead developer of PulseAudio and Red Hat employee, moderated the miniconference and started with a summary of the state of Linux audio: "it's a mess.' "
Mint 17/Xfce/fluxbox & Mint 16/Xfce/fluxbox
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Mozenrath on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 am

So then if everyone concedes that Linux audio is a mess, why hasn't anyone fixed it? The situation has been the same since I started using Linux in 2007.

Sure, there aren't as many problems now, but I still occasionally have problems with programs basically taking over the sound card, stopping Pulseaudio from working. Stuff like that which gets annoying.

PulseAudio is great, but it's more of a hack than anything else. Why do we need two sound architectures to achieve one thing? And if PulseAudio can stand in for OSS and Esound, then why can't it just stand in for ALSA?
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs