Gmediafinder Can No Longer Play Youtube Videos

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Gmediafinder Can No Longer Play Youtube Videos

Postby kherring7383 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Is it me, or is anyone else have this issue with Gmediafinder?

Several days ago I was able to watch Youtube videos, but since several updates, the videos that are found are skipped when I attempt to start playing them.

Has something changed?

Mint 13
Gmediafinder v 0.9.9.1
kherring7383
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gmediafinder Can No Longer Play Youtube Videos

Postby kherring7383 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Although I couldn't find any fix for this problem, I decided to give Minitube another try even though it too had similar issues in the past which is the reason I switched to Gmediafinder.

Since then Minitube 1.8 has been released and a fix for it was posted which basically requires more restricted extras to be installed and renaming the libgstvideoparsersbad.so plugin.

Apparently the libgstvideoparsersbad.so plugin has a bug that creates a problem with the playing videos and the person who posted it didn't explain why, but I guess it doesn't really matter just as long as it fixes Minitube.

Before installing minitube, you must first install the plugins followed by renaming libgstvideoparsersbad.so.

(1) Install Plugins:
sudo apt-get install libqtgui4 libqt4-xml libqt4-network libqt4-dbus phonon-backend-gstreamer gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

(2) Rename libgstvideoparsersbad.so:
sudo mv /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so.bak

(3) Install minitube
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/minitube
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install minitube

After I followed these steps I'm now able to play videos just fine.
kherring7383
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs