Password protected .mov files on linux?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
funkster1

Password protected .mov files on linux?

Post by funkster1 »

Hi there,
I don't know if this is somehow solvable, but here it goes:

I have a few password protected Quick Time video files that I'd like to watch under linux as well (Mint 4.0, fully updated for instance).
Under Windows I can open the QuickTime player settings (using QT Alternative 2.20) and there's a dialog in there that let's me put in the passwords required to watch these certain files.
Is it somehow possible to do under linux? I have installed mplayer & vlc, but in both I can't find any such option.
Does anybody know if it's feasible at all? I mean, it's not so often that you come across protected video content I guess. But maybe I'm wrong on this assumption, since QT doesn't provide the option for nothing it would seem. :twisted:

TIA
Raphael ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Password protected .mov files on linux?

Post by JAK »

Have you installed the proprietary codecs from the repositories? Mplayer doesn't work for me either to play .mov files, but VLC and Totem work just fine.
funkster1

Post by funkster1 »

Yes, I have these installed. Honestly, I can say that I don't like mplayer that much.
It's giving so many headaches and is most often not working as I would expect (when it works).
Vlc is fine though.
Still, it doesn't play the protected content. I mean I can hear the audio, but no picture.
On Windows it's the same, no picture until I put in the password.
So the question is where (if) i can put in the password?

Raphael ;)
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

Mplayer is great as a plugin for Firefox, but I never use it as a standalone player. VLC is king in that department. As for your password protected .mov files, I don't have answer. I didn't quite catch-on to the fact that you need to submit a password each time you want to few the file. Is there a way to convert those videos to something else (avi) while in Windows so you can easily play them in Linux?
funkster1

Post by funkster1 »

Well, I'd have to check out wether I can re-record/convert the files with something like SUPER or ffmpeg frontend or whatever does conversions in the video department. I'm not so much into that stuff. More of an audio guy myself :D

But anyway, thank you for your will to help me out on this, much appreciated.

Cheers
Raphael ;)

Return to “Sound”