Is there a list of audio/video Codecs pre-installed in Mint?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Is there a list of audio/video Codecs pre-installed in Mint?

Post by Lantesh »

I was just wondering if there is a list of what audio/video codecs and related stuff that is pre-installed in Mint. I did notice that the ubuntu-restricted-extras package is not pre-installed, although I've had no issues with anything not working, and I assume the items in that package are simply installed individually. One of the things I like about Mint is that all of this stuff comes pre-installed, as I had grown accustomed to doing it myself in Ubuntu. So how about it, is there a complete list?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Is there a list of audio/video Codecs pre-installed in Mint?

Post by Husse »

Not one that's published, but Clem must have one I guess
I think I'll ask around
Husse

Post by Husse »

No - there is no list - the selection was made in Barbara and the apps are just updated and new ones added - Clems sees all the code anyway when he makes the new version
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Thanks for checking. I appreciate it. That brings me to my next question. Is there any point in installing the Ubuntu-restricted-extras package? All the other items I used to install myself in Ubuntu I have have found to be pre-installed in Mint. This is the only package that is not. I am assuming I don't need it, but figured I'd ask if there is any benefit to it with Mint.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't see a point - it's just codecs already there and possibly some wifi drivers
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Ok I'll skip it then. Thanks Husse.

Return to “Sound”