Browsers video playback problem - SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dougal

Browsers video playback problem - SOLVED

Post by dougal »

New to Mint (Maya) but, not Linux - I can't get my video to play at normal speed in any browser. It always plays fast, like a few times faster than normal.
Any ideas folks. All updates were applied yesterday in-case any of them may have upset things.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Browsers video playback problem

Post by caf4926 »

What type of video? Flash.. Eg Youtube? or other?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If it's flash, I would recommend installing Adobe's Flash, or using Chrome and the pepper flash.
dougal

Post by dougal »

I wondered if it was a plug-in thing. I am used to the version I usually use have all codecs and plug-ins already installed and working. I should have stopped to think.
It is normal Youtube type stuff so I'll check to make sure Flash is there.
I am using Google's Chrome too which usually has the plug-in installed too...
dougal

Post by dougal »

Well, I have tried to make sure the Flash plug-in is installed through Synaptic. The Mint flavoured plug-in was already there and so I installed the Adobe option from Synaptic (version 11 so it should be the latest) but, the videos still play fast.
I tried Google's Chrome instead, still no joy. I re-booted, no joy.

Does anyone have a check list for making sure the correct Flash is installed and so on. A step-by-step would be great.
I am growing fond of the simple nature of Mint but, if I can't get the Flash thing sorted within the next few days then tough. I spend too much time needing to watch video properly to put up with a hiccup that's not getting cured.
It all plays perfectly well on my other systems and even Windows so, the fault is with Mint!!! and it's plug-in situation.

Any help please???
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

The plugin in Chrome is completely different to anything in the Mint system, which is why you were advised to try it.

Your problem could be related to your video hardware and installed (or not) driver
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
dougal

Re: Browsers video playback problem - SOLVED

Post by dougal »

Thanks, the problem was the graphics driver.Now if only I can get Emerald to work. It is installed. It is there but, for some reason the theme will not become the active theme when chosen. I see others have had similar problems with trying to use Emerald with Mint so I may have to do some searching yet.
Anyways, thanks for the tip about the driver. I should have thought of that. I am a little disappointed that the drivers that are installed with Mint do not do the job adequately but, hey... no sweat.
Cheers.

Return to “Sound”